[SOLVED] GPU Fans Spinning but outputting no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezitezi

Distinguished
May 7, 2017
GPU: Gigabyte RX 580 8GB (secondhand, bought around ~1 year and 9 months ago)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16(2x8)GB Klevv
PSU: CoolerMaster MWE 450 (450 watt)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4

Aside from the GPU, I bought everything new around the same time I bought the secondhand GPU.

I was away from the PC for quite sometimes (around a week or so), when I got back, the PC booted up normally like nothing has ever happened. When I was playing a game, the PC suddenly freezes and I restarted it. The PC turns on but the screen was saying something like "No signal, please check your connection". I also noticed that the GPU fan is running at max speed because its very noisy. I turned it off, gave it some time to break, when I turned it on again, it remains the same (fans are on, gpu fans on full speed, but no display on the monitor). I am unable to access the BIOS/UEFI as I don't have any integrated graphics.
I have tried fixes such as:
  • Switching to the second PCIE slot.
  • Reseating and swapping the RAM position.
  • Reseating the GPU multiple times.
  • Resetting CMOS through removing the battery and through the jumper method.
Is it possible that the GPU is dead? Do note that I have never encountered any visual glitches or artifacts of any sort.
Or perhaps it's the PSU that has degraded and unable to serve the RX 580 with adequate power? Or maybe even, the motherboard? I am stumped.
Thank you!

Solution
That PSU is absolutly fine, not the greatest but a capable one for sure. That is what happens when a component within the GPU dies, power is coming, it fails somewhere along the start-up process, fans run full blast in-case as there is an abnormal start and voila.... no display. Artifacting is a sign normally of a general temp or voltage problem. Display gone and full speed fan is a good indicator of a major component failure.
CoolerMaster MWE 450 (450 watt)
You were using a bad PSU that was already underpowered for a gpu that requested at least a mediocre quality PSU of 500w.

It might only be the PSU, it might only be the GPU or it can be both. In ANY case, you need to swap that PSU to a decent one BEFORE troubleshooting any further to eliminate power issues.

Tier B and above is recommended from the following list:

Extreme budget options are from tier C which again, you shouldn't skimp on a PSU. I'd rather have less ram to begin with, than mediocre PSU.

As a secondhand GPU you never know what sort of life it had already had, it may have been used for mining as those cards are pretty good at it. It sounds to me as it could be as stated above the PSU has an issue BUT my bet is the memory chips have had it on the card, it is rare for the main processor chip itself to just die but if a memory chip, mosfet or capacitor has gone then that is it. It could be looked into in a repair shop to check current flow, hotspots etc but not many can do such fine tuned work and could only be seen as a last option and as a stopgap in the shortterm even if they do get it running again.

Reactions: dotas1

tezitezi

Distinguished
May 7, 2017
My bad! My PSU was actually be quiet! System Power 9 500W. I mistook it for CoolerMaster MWE until I actually see the be quiet! logo on the bottom of my PC.

I had my doubts on it being an ex-mining but then it ran quite okay for the entire time I had it which is almost 2 years. The temps were around 46c on idle and 80c on load. The thing is, the GPU fan gets very loud as if it was in full load when I tried to turn the system on, afterwards nothing gets displayed on the monitor.

That PSU is absolutly fine, not the greatest but a capable one for sure. That is what happens when a component within the GPU dies, power is coming, it fails somewhere along the start-up process, fans run full blast in-case as there is an abnormal start and voila.... no display. Artifacting is a sign normally of a general temp or voltage problem. Display gone and full speed fan is a good indicator of a major component failure.

Solution

tezitezi

Distinguished
May 7, 2017
I still hope that it's something else aside from the GPU... The prices of them right now are outrageous, whether they're new or used.
I'm going to bring my PC to the nearby repair shop sometime this week to make sure if it really is the GPU or something else. I will report afterwards, wish me luck!

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

Greg Gregorich

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
i had similar problem i even send motherboard under warranty and they say nothing wrong with it . then i find out that method its in a motherboard manual unplug pc from power outlet wait 5minutes remove bios battery always make sure pc is unplugged from power outlet shorten thus two battery connectors with scissors or screwdriver for 3 seconds or so put the bios battery back try power up.before this method i try remove the bios battery several times and it did nothing.when you short connectors they drain all power from motherboard so the bios resets .always make sure pc is unplugged from power outlet.good luck!

tezitezi

Distinguished
May 7, 2017
i had similar problem i even send motherboard under warranty and they say nothing wrong with it . then i find out that method its in a motherboard manual unplug pc from power outlet wait 5minutes remove bios battery always make sure pc is unplugged from power outlet shorten thus two battery connectors with scissors or screwdriver for 3 seconds or so put the bios battery back try power up.before this method i try remove the bios battery several times and it did nothing.when you short connectors they drain all power from motherboard so the bios resets .always make sure pc is unplugged from power outlet.good luck!

Sadly, I have done that much yet to no avail. It still won't boot. However, I took the PC to my local repair shop and I told them about the problem. They swapped the RX 580 with a GT 1030 and the system boots to Windows just fine no problem.

As unfortunate as it may seems... My GPU is certainly toast. If my CPU has an integrated graphics, thats what I would be using instead during these insane GPU prices but it doesn't come with one sadly. Right now, I am trying to strike a deal on a secondhand GTX 1060 for a replacement. Thank you all for the answer!

Reactions: Exxtream
Status
Not open for further replies.