Question GPU fans start and stop question

Andy2111

Prominent
Aug 24, 2021
Hi all,
I wanted to ask you about how do you feel with the start stop tecnollogy of the fans.
Personally, I have a EVGA 3080 FTW3, which when I play games (for example, Marvel Spiderman), I view that the fan is starting and stopping all the time, lets say, each 5 seconds.
It seems that when the card reach 60C, it turns on, and of below that, but I have a good airflow in my case.
I tried to switch to the second bios (OC) and make a custom fan curve, but I cannot make the first 2 fans to be below 33% of speed (seems like a bug, I m not the only one).
I wanted to confirm with you if this start and stop fast cycles could make the fans die prematurely.
As a work around, I m using Bios 1 (normal) forcing the fans to run at 33% when i m gaming, but it is not ideal.
Thanks.
Regards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I find the start-stop function trivial for gpus - more useful for power supplies though.
The card is part of case airflow[Yes, even when not doing anything]... Why was there a need to change this?
Moving parts don't last forever, fans are cheap to replace, and there are DIY means to zip-tie case fans onto heatsinks.

As as heads up: A consistent speed is easier on the motor than a constantly changing one.