Question GPU fans start and stop repeatedly

Mar 25, 2023
Recently, I had to replace my GPU fans, because they were starting to become noisy some times. I also changed the thermal paste.
The problem is that, now, when the fans start to spin, they stop less than 5 seconds later, like the video below:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm_jl2VggeA

When the fans are set to spin at 51%+ speed, they don't stop anymore. So there's no temperature problem.
But whenever everything is quiet, I can hear it and it pisses me off.

It's important to note that this issue does not happen before windows booting up. They work perfectly.
I tried overriding the GPU temperature curve using MSI Afterburner to no effect. It changes the curve as intended, but doesn't fix the issue.
My solution so far has been to set the fan to only start spinning when the GPU hits 60°C, at 51% speed, so, while idling, it sits still.

Is there any better solution to this issue?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's generally a switch, either msi software or a physical switch to turn off 'fanless' mode. It's supposed to kick the fans on @ 65°C until the gpu hits somewhere below 60°C then shuts them off again. Doesn't always work out that way, if at all and msi Afterburner may or may not override that switch. Putting it on 'standard' mode is the best way to see if there actually is an issue with the fans or if it's that thermal switch that's funky or bunk.

Mar 25, 2023
Sorry for taking so long to respond.
Let me see if I got it right. There may be a switch that makes my fans start spinning only when the GPU hits @ 65°C?
What it seems to me that is happening is either some driver or whatever is trying to force stop the fans, while Afterburner is trying to make them run at a certain speed, defined by the curve.
Either way, I'll try to see if there's a physical switch, because, as far as I messed around with Afterburner, nothing seemed to have any effect.