GPU fans stop spinning 10 seconds in after reinstalling windows

Jun 13, 2018
I wiped my partition with Windows on it and reinstalled it because a windows update basically broke it - Now my GPU seems to turn on for 10 seconds when I boot then the fans stop spinning. Windows boots as usual on basic display drivers and I can't seem to download drivers for my card. Everything was working just fine before I reinstalled Windows. I have a GTX 1060. What is going on? I've had to reinstall Windows multiple times in the past and I've never had this issue though I did have a different graphics card (GTX 770)

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016
I am just wondering might be wrong but heard that 1060 fans spins once its hits an high temperature would you do an stress test on your gpu or play an high game because many cards have this feature where the fans dont spin until they reach an temperature!

Jun 13, 2018
Thanks for the feedback on the fans, I did not know about that

Basically concerning drivers I downloaded GeForce Experience and tried to go through with the installation for the latest drivers and I got a vague error message before it could finish. I tried another driver from march this year and that one didn't let me either. I also checked Device Manager and my 1060 isn't showing up, just "Basic Display Adapter". I clicked on "Update Driver Software" for it and it said it couldn't download the drivers for it, showed "GeForce 1060" as the drivers they were trying to install though. This part kind of confuses me, I'm not too sure what to make of it.

I'm permanently stuck on really low resolution and one monitor, can't seem to install any drivers basically

sailorjeff

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I have a 1080ti. Fans will spin on start up but then stop unless I am stressing the GPU like in a game or watching video. Doing non-demanding work like MS word or something will not generate enough heat in your GPU for the fans to spin up in the newer GPUS...the 1060 included.