[SOLVED] GPU fans turn on and off every second

Jordanxq

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
I've had this problem for a while now and I couldn't really find anything that works for me.

So I have a GTX 1080. Whenever my GPU reaches like 55° C while playing a game, the fan starts spinning up then instantly stops spinning after 1 second. After 2 seconds the fans start spinning again then stop and the loop goes on. My fans spin normally when I'm playing a heavier game with max graphics so my gpu reaches like 60 - 64° C and the fans spin without stopping. (With default Nvidia settings)

I have tried making a custom fan curve, I have made one that makes the fan start spinning at 60° C , the curve looks like this View: https://imgur.com/a/4xO5myd

That didn't work because when I played the same game that was capped at 55°C and made my fans spin on and off. The gpu then just heats up to 60°C where the curve starts and the fans started doing the same on/off loop again.

I have tried updating my graphics drivers, that didn't work. I completely reinstalled the drivers and that didn't help aswell.

Also on a side note, one of the fans on my GPU started having more resistance when spinning and also made a slight buzzing sound when it spins. So when my GPU does this on/off loop it's really annoying because of the buzzing.

What should I do about the fan, should I try to open it up and lubricate it? And how do I stop this obnoxious on/off GPU loop, any replies appreciated!

Solution
Thanks for the reply! I've just tried your custom curve and the hysterisis and it still stops randomly however it runs longer now before stopping. The fan starts running for about 10-15 seconds then stops for 3-4 and the loop continues.

If your fan's starting temperature is 60c and your GPU cooler can't passively keep temp below 60c then the fans will have to turn on. Things that affect GPU temp are % usage, GPU rad size, temp inside the case, room temp, fan speed, etc. You can try to improve case temp somehow, but if you can't get GPU temp below 60c at idle then you might have to consider a fan curve that keeps the fan on all the time. All you can do is control the controllables. Case fans, case airflow config...
I've had this problem for a while now and I couldn't really find anything that works for me.

So I have a GTX 1080. Whenever my GPU reaches like 55° C while playing a game, the fan starts spinning up then instantly stops spinning after 1 second. After 2 seconds the fans start spinning again then stop and the loop goes on. My fans spin normally when I'm playing a heavier game with max graphics so my gpu reaches like 60 - 64° C and the fans spin without stopping. (With default Nvidia settings)

I have tried making a custom fan curve, I have made one that makes the fan start spinning at 60° C , the curve looks like this View: https://imgur.com/a/4xO5myd

That didn't work because when I played the same game that was capped at 55°C and made my fans spin on and off. The gpu then just heats up to 60°C where the curve starts and the fans started doing the same on/off loop again.

I have tried updating my graphics drivers, that didn't work. I completely reinstalled the drivers and that didn't help aswell.

Also on a side note, one of the fans on my GPU started having more resistance when spinning and also made a slight buzzing sound when it spins. So when my GPU does this on/off loop it's really annoying because of the buzzing.

What should I do about the fan, should I try to open it up and lubricate it? And how do I stop this obnoxious on/off GPU loop, any replies appreciated!
When a fan starts buzzing, you don't lubricate it - you replace it : vibration will have caused its axis to wear down and lubricating it won't stop it from wobbling.

Reactions: Jordanxq
Which 1080 brand and model is it?

Disable the zero fan feature and set the curve to 36% at all time. Till it reaches like 60°C. Then set the fan curve like you want to cool it down with more RPM.

BTW
I´m using a Gigabyte 1660 gaming oc (windforce 3x fan) and I´m having the exact same issue. Some RTX cards were fixed by a more aggressive BIOS for the cards. Eventually yours have one too, if so, you can find it on the manufacturer´s homepage.

Last edited:
First problem is with your fan curve. The fans need an instant start, so if you want them to start at 60c then you should make a straight line vertically from 60c/0% to 60c/40%. From there you can slope the fan curve upward and to the right. Next, add 5c to 10c hysteresis to prevent rapid on/off cycling of the fan.

Jordanxq

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
First problem is with your fan curve. The fans need an instant start, so if you want them to start at 60c then you should make a straight line vertically from 60c/0% to 60c/40%. From there you can slope the fan curve upward and to the right. Next, add 5c to 10c hysteresis to prevent rapid on/off cycling of the fan.

Thanks for the reply! I've just tried your custom curve and the hysterisis and it still stops randomly however it runs longer now before stopping. The fan starts running for about 10-15 seconds then stops for 3-4 and the loop continues.

Jordanxq

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Which 1080 brand and model is it?

Disable the zero fan feature and set the curve to 36% at all time. Till it reaches like 60°C. Then set the fan curve like you want to cool it down with more RPM.

BTW
I´m using a Gigabyte 1660 gaming oc (windforce 3x fan) and I´m having the exact same issue. Some RTX cards were fixed by a more aggressive BIOS for the cards. Eventually yours have one too, if so, you can find it on the manufacturer´s homepage.

My GPU info
View: https://imgur.com/a/2hUuVQC

I'm not really sure if I want the gpu fan to be spinning all the time.

If your fan's starting temperature is 60c and your GPU cooler can't passively keep temp below 60c then the fans will have to turn on. Things that affect GPU temp are % usage, GPU rad size, temp inside the case, room temp, fan speed, etc. You can try to improve case temp somehow, but if you can't get GPU temp below 60c at idle then you might have to consider a fan curve that keeps the fan on all the time. All you can do is control the controllables. Case fans, case airflow config, better/watercooled GPU, room air conditioning, case with better airflow, repaste GPU and better thermal pads in GPU card, etc.

What's your full system specs? What case do you have? How many fans? What's the airflow? Do you think it's too hot in there? What's your room temp? CPU temp? CPU cooler?

Solution