[SOLVED] GPU fans used to spin all the time, but since the driver update they don't ?

Sep 1, 2020
Just updated drivers and now my GPU fans dont spin until i am well into a game.

I have amd Gigabyte radeon 5600xt

I tried going into radeon software to manually set the fan curve to be on - the fans spin for three seconds and the 5 points i set onto the graph individually start moving back to the original point and then the fans stop spinning again.

Also everytime i restart/shutdown my pc and turn it back on i get a "default wattman settings restored due to unexpected system failure"

pls help

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Is it really an AMD thing? lol....
my RX470 is almost 5 years old now and it has the "turn off fans when idle" setting. i think the RX400 series was the first to implement it for AMD cards. i don't know when nVidia started using it but who did it first is not the topic of this discussion. also AMD or nVidia, it was not them who came up with the idea, it was the AIBs like MSI, Sapphire, EVGA and so on that put that setting in the cards as part of their cooler designs so the implementation was probably made at the same time for both brands.
as for the topic at hand, the fans not turning off was probably a bios bug and the setting was overwritten/corrected by the newest drivers
Sep 1, 2020
Full system spec? include make and model of the psu

did you upgrade the gpu from something else?

Cpu: ryzen 7 3700x
Gpu: 5600xt (by gigabyte)
Memory: 2x16 @3200
Storage: 2x crucial p1 m.2 storage @1tb
Fans: 3x lian linbora digital, 2x lian li lancool 2 case fans + aio
AIO/CPUC: gigabyte aorus 360mm aio (3 fans)
MOBO: asus prime b550 plus

PSu: corsair rm750x

Already checked psu calc and im well below 400 watts of what i have

no upgrade of gpu. - parts were just bought september ish for my first build - just annoying that the fan curve auto resorts back everytime i change it

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
All cards in the last 5 years are set to not spin the fans unless the core temperature reaches a certain value. Did you see the fans spin all the time or was it some monitoring utility that reported the fans as spinning? In the later case, the fans were not actually spinning but the utility could not report a lower value than the fan's 20% speed and maybe with the latest driver update that was fixed and it now reports correctly that the fans don't spin.

Sep 1, 2020
All cards in the last 5 years are set to not spin the fans unless the core temperature reaches a certain value. Did you see the fans spin all the time or was it some monitoring utility that reported the fans as spinning? In the later case, the fans were not actually spinning but the utility could not report a lower value than the fan's 20% speed and maybe with the latest driver update that was fixed and it now reports correctly that the fans don't spin.
Yeah the fans used to physically spin all the time - but now they dont. They do after i start gaming but i was just confused as to why and was trying to see if something was wrong (i know fans dont spin 100% all the time but idk why they used to and now they dont).

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Its entirely possible that your card was bugged before and was fixed now. If the fans work correctly when the card is under load i don't thing you need to worry. From what driver to what driver was the update?

Lefteris Fousteris

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
You noted this started happening after a Driver Update? It could be AMD falling into NVIDIA's footsteps and adapting the 0% fans on no load (yes NVIDIA cards do that), try launching a game without a fan curve and see if either (if there are more than 1) of them starts spinning after reaching more than 60c.

You noted this started happening after a Driver Update? It could be AMD falling into NVIDIA's footsteps and adapting the 0% fans on no load (yes NVIDIA cards do that), try launching a game without a fan curve and see if either (if there are more than 1) of them starts spinning after reaching more than 60c.

The 0db/0rpm/fan stop function was implemented by AMD at least from 500series, so it's been more than 4 years since then.
Either OP didn't notice it before, or the drivers somehow messed up the fans.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Is it really an AMD thing? lol....
my RX470 is almost 5 years old now and it has the "turn off fans when idle" setting. i think the RX400 series was the first to implement it for AMD cards. i don't know when nVidia started using it but who did it first is not the topic of this discussion. also AMD or nVidia, it was not them who came up with the idea, it was the AIBs like MSI, Sapphire, EVGA and so on that put that setting in the cards as part of their cooler designs so the implementation was probably made at the same time for both brands.
as for the topic at hand, the fans not turning off was probably a bios bug and the setting was overwritten/corrected by the newest drivers

Solution