Question GPU fans vibrating

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
I have a GTX 1660TI OC model Gv-N166TOC, and the fans only kick in at certain points.

Now the problem is, only whenever the fans start spinning they make some sort of a buzzing sound for a second, but if they are ran continuously (I.E in a game) the problem disappears. What could it be?

Under no load, whenever I open Chrome or simple tasks and the fans start spinning and then turn off - it becomes an annoying repetitive sound, occasionally there's a revving sound going up and down for a few seconds and then it goes away.
However if the fans are running constantly, the computer sounds smooth

Last edited:

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Deactivate 0db or what si called for gigabyte from the gigabyte command center or create your own custom profile in msi afterburner.

I'm on it, on 35 I don't hear a single vibration. However I don't know which profile is suitable for the GPU, can you help me?

vi2lCIE.png

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I have an RTX 2070 and it does exactly the same as yours - makes a vibrating noise when it spins up under load.
It seems they can't be smoothed out even with different profile curves unlike the CPU and case fans which can be smoothed and delayed when spinning up by using AI Suite III.

In MSI Afterburner that setting 'Fan Speed Update Period' equates to a 5 second slow delay to make it smoother whilst spinning up but doesn't seem to make any difference.
I think the GFX's own hardware overrides these settings and they are built to spin up instantly to control heat dissipation.
They have some huge electronic parts in them hence their physical bulk and twin fans.
There isn't anything actually loose inside and ready to fall off.

Personally I have just got used to it as once it spins up it doesn't make the vibrating sound.
Or when idling like you said in Windows.

Andy

Reactions: buckshot187

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
I have an RTX 2070 and it does exactly the same as yours - makes a vibrating noise when it spins up under load.
It seems they can't be smoothed out even with different profile curves unlike the CPU and case fans which can be smoothed and delayed when spinning up by using AI Suite III.

In MSI Afterburner that setting 'Fan Speed Update Period' equates to a 5 second slow delay to make it smoother whilst spinning up but doesn't seem to make any difference.
I think the GFX's own hardware overrides these settings and they are built to spin up instantly to control heat dissipation.
They have some huge electronic parts in them hence their physical bulk and twin fans.
There isn't anything actually loose inside and ready to fall off.

Personally I have just got used to it as once it spins up it doesn't make the vibrating sound.
Or when idling like you said in Windows.

Andy
The problem with my fans is that they have this cooling system like Dragos mentioned, and the fans jump and cool back to 0% on simple tasks every minute thus re-creating the annoying vibration over and over. So my only solution would be to tamper with the fan curve I suppose

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes that is definitely worth trying to dampen the effects you are experiencing.

I would recommend you always have a 100% fan speed setting at 90c or even less as this is what it is set at to stop overheating.
You can select the Custom profile to leave the default intact if you like.
The profile doesn't seem to be one that you can save so that you load it each time though, unlike the fan profiles in AI Suite for the CPU and chassis.

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Yes that is definitely worth trying to dampen the effects you are experiencing.

I would recommend you always have a 100% fan speed setting at 90c or even less as this is what it is set at to stop overheating.
You can select the Custom profile to leave the default intact if you like.
The profile doesn't seem to be one that you can save so that you load it each time though, unlike the fan profiles in AI Suite for the CPU and chassis.
It worked, the throttling sound is gone although it can be a tiny bit loud at times which is normal

Last edited: