[SOLVED] GPU fans won't run (new motherboard and PSU)

tehloog

Reputable
Jan 8, 2018
About a month ago my computer stopped turning on. I took it into microcenter and they told me my motherboard was fried, and my PSU was weak. I bought and installed a new motherboard (MSI H110M PRO-D) and PSU (EVGA 650W) and the computer works now! Everything works...except the fans on my GPU won't run. I have a 1060 which was in my computer before I installed the new stuff. The fans run when I turn the PC on, but stop soon after. I need help.

Solution
If the card isn't under load then the fans won't spin. This is normal behaviour IMO.
My son has the Asus 1060 Dual OC 6GB and it does the same. Fans spin up on start up but stop until temp requires them (approx 55°C if memory serves) .
But just sitting idle I woildn't think much cooling is required.

tehloog

Reputable
Jan 8, 2018
About a month ago my computer stopped turning on. I took it into microcenter and they told me my motherboard was fried, and my PSU was weak. I bought and installed a new motherboard (MSI H110M PRO-D) and PSU (EVGA 650W) and the computer works now! Everything works...except the fans on my GPU won't run. I have a 1060 which was in my computer before I installed the new stuff. The fans run when I turn the PC on, but stop soon after. I need help.
Also the motherboard I had before was exactly the same, and before I had a EVGA 400W PSU

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
If the card isn't under load then the fans won't spin. This is normal behaviour IMO.
My son has the Asus 1060 Dual OC 6GB and it does the same. Fans spin up on start up but stop until temp requires them (approx 55°C if memory serves) .
But just sitting idle I woildn't think much cooling is required.

Solution

ViktorHX

Commendable
Nov 24, 2019
Are they not running at all or do they start up eventually, as greigm said, each GPU has some kind of "smart fans" which will bump up when it's needed by reaching some temp level.