Question GPU fans won't update while Windows is running ?

Sep 23, 2023
Got a new graphics card, 4070TI ROG STRIX. seems to be running well. only issue is even at high temps above 60 °C, the fans won't kick in.
If the GPU is at such temps and I restart my computer they kick in and stay on? same thing when I update Graphics drivers while at high temperatures.
So I'm lead to believe that the problem is likely with windows. Windows may not be detecting the GPU fans?
I've got GPU Tweak 3 installed and any attempts to change fan speeds result in no change.
I have also tried MSI afterburner, But after I install it there is literally no fan tab in the settings??
Reseated the GPU multiple times, Tried Different Riser cables, and directly plugging the GPU into the motherboard ( ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING)
Have also Reset CMOS. no change.
Updated BIOS, no change
Have checked all of my power cables and they are all firmly seated and correct.

I believe that maybe windows is lacking something. Maybe something within the registry.
Fresh full wipe windows install less than 2 days prior to making this post. Really Stuck here.

PSU: Seasonic Focus 750W 80+Gold, Its less than a year old, bought it brand new.
Using 3 separate PCI-E cables to power the card. Most documentation I find says this should be perfect.

I have 2 SSD's one is a WDBlack 750, the other is some old Samsung SSD that I just use for extra storage. Both are near empty as I have hard reset in the last few days. Both are 1TB drives.

With No GPU Tweak It is the same, fans wont update speed while windows is running.
Current install of windows is from a registered windows 10 key I bought about a year ago.
Current install of GPU Tweak is from ASUS directly.
Also It now seems that the Clock speed is stuck at less than half what the card should be using

Did manage to borrow a friends old 1080 and fans work properly for that. Am able to update speeds and profiles without a problem.

Beginning to feel like I just got shafted by the silicon lottery and this GPU might just need Replaced.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING
BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Stay out of the registry. Registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted with a full system backup including a back up of the registry itself.

GPU-Tweak III

If GPU-Tweak III is uninstalled then what happens or does not happen?

What was the source for the current installation?

I found the following Asus link:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/10...eak III is a,fan control, and other functions.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech