Gpu finally dead?

May 30, 2018
Hi guys, 1 week ago I got BSOD on my pc while gaming. My pc became unbootable as I was getting the 'Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC' error. I tried fixing this error for a couple of days as I struggled with numerous google solutions. Note that Windows was bootable in safe mode.
Nothing seemed to work so I reinstalled my Windows using a bootable stick ( I did so without completely formatting my hard drive, all of my old files remained in the Windows.old file.) As I was installing the drivers I came upon the nvidia one. Midway to installing it my computer gets BSOD. At this point the pc is bootable but with no nvidia driver installed. I figured the whole problem was GPU related so i took out my gtx 760 out and booted the pc with my integrated intel hd graphics which I am using right now. I bought my GPU back in 2013 and it usually stayed around ~65 degrees while gaming. Is it time to buy a new one? I did not experience any artifacts before the initial crash or any other symptoms which might suggest the video card is dying, besides loud fan noise perhaps.

My system:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC WindForce 3X 2GB DDR5 256-bit v2
CPU : Intel Core i5 4430 3GHz
Ram: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.65V
Power supply: Sirtec - High Power Element PLUS 500W
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4
HDD: Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB Barracuda
Full HD benq monitor.

Solution
That card is rated for 170W of power. The Intel iGPU doesn't use nearly as much power, not even close.

How old is your PSU? It's possible the 760 is fine, just isn't being fed enough power anymore.

stdragon

Admirable
That card is rated for 170W of power. The Intel iGPU doesn't use nearly as much power, not even close.

How old is your PSU? It's possible the 760 is fine, just isn't being fed enough power anymore.

Solution
May 30, 2018

Its the same as the gpu, I bought all of my components back in 2013, so 5 years old. You think it might be the power supply?

stdragon

Admirable

5 years of heavy gaming is a pretty good life expectancy from a PSU. Yeah, I do think the PSU is the culprit. If you can borrow one to test, that be even better.

May 30, 2018

Shouldn't the GPU draw only a fraction of its 170 W TDP when not gaming? For example, when installing the driver, in idle mode, it shouldn't draw nowhere near 170 watts.

stdragon

Admirable

True, but upon boot-up or making GDI calls to the video card, it can cause a momentary current draw.