[SOLVED] GPU "flicking" on and off ?

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi

I have an issue where ever since I started using sound through DisplayPort from my monitor (may not even be the reason why, just coincidental), after about 10-15 minutes of playing say music, and idling, the monitor will shut off and show "no signal" for about 10 seconds then recover. It hasnt gone to sleep/locked as the song appears to have kept playing in the background and resumes instantly through the speakers, like I just turned the monitor off and on for a few seconds. There's no errors of any sort, doesn't seem like the driver crashed or anything like that. It just turns off and on for a few seconds every 10-15 minutes ?

The GPU is an Asus RTX2070 Super Turbo Evo. I havent really had any problems with it prior to this and it is slightly overclocked by about 100mhz, with temperatures stable at around 65 degrees C using a custom fan curve. All drivers are the latest "Game ready" drivers from Nvidia

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Sounds like your issue is basically loss of sync between the GPU and monitor. Try a different cable. If your monitor has HDMI and you have an HDMI cable, you could try that too.

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
does the same thing happen when gaming or watching videos or just when playing audio alone?
If im actively using it, moving mouse, typing etc in non graphically intense settings i.e. word processing, it doesnt do it. Purely when idling. I noticed with graphically intense games it does "stutter" for a microsecond, but doesnt go black

Sounds like your issue is basically loss of sync between the GPU and monitor. Try a different cable. If your monitor has HDMI and you have an HDMI cable, you could try that too.
I have a second monitor over HDMI which is off usually (its specifically for a sim rig) and i tried playing music over HDMI, and basically does the same thing.

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
For anyone else that has a similar problem:

I worked backwards and found out that it was the new "Nvidia Broadcast" application and its audio driver that shows up in Win 10 as "Speakers (Nvidia Broadcast)" that was causing the problem.

Uninstalling it fixed the issue.