GPU for 3Dsmax

azk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hello everyone.

I have recently upgraded my GPU from a gigabyte HD4850 1Gb to a MSI HAWK GTX460 1Gb. I only upgraded because I also got myself a full HD monitor and wanted more GPU power to drive it. The games (which i don't really play that much) run great and i am completely satisfied. But I primary use this PC for my freelance 3d work. I now feel kinda stupid as I didn't do much of a research before buying the new video card and so it happened that only after using it for some time did i notice the very poor performance in 3DS max.. I have read a lot of different forums today and I found out that the nvidia 400 series GPUs perform very poorly in all the professional 3d apps, and actually get outperformed by 8800gts and other videocards of that generation which is very weird to me :??: So I've spent the last few hours searching for info on the newer nvidia cards (like the gtx560) trying to find out whether or not are they also poor performers in that field. Sadly, I found no real answer.

My question is: what would be the best replacement for my gtx460 to get rid of the poor performance in 3ds max problem? I don't really have a huge budget here, so I'm not looking at the nvidia Quadro series. Buying a gtx580 is also not an option for me moneywise. I would be happy to have a video card from about the same tier as the 460 (gaming wise), but it should be definitely a much better 3dsmax performer.. Any suggestions?

Also, maybe any of you have a gtx560 and could confirm it does much better in 3ds max that the 460?

azk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month BUDGET RANGE: 200-300$

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Professional 3dsmax work

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI NGTX460 HAWK OC 1GB, Corsair CX600

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom II x6 1090t, ASRock 890GM Pro3, 8GB Kingston DDR3-1600

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080