[SOLVED] Gpu for a office pc?

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
So I am building my Father a new pc for his office and he said he wanted something fast for around 1000, And I have a Amd b450-f and a 1tb nvme laying around so I’m gonna use those in his build. I ordered a Seasonic 650watt to be future proof and cause of the quality/warranty and I was gonna order a 3600 with a 1660/5600xt is this overkill? It’s gonna be in a glass case so I want a nice looking card but I’m out of ideas

Solution
What kind of work is your father going to do with the PC? Software used, etc?

For office suite and web browsing as many mention here already either a 2400G or 3400G will be enough. And you get to use the motherboard you have already.

If you really need a GPU for CAD or similar then you could probably get away with a Ryzen 3 3300X with atleast 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz (thats a 4 cores/8threads CPU with a performance close or higher, depending on the benchmark, to the i7 7700K).

You may need a BIOS update depending on the CPU you choose.
My first build is with a 3400G, mainly as a home pc and htpc and it is a great APU, has handled everything Ive thrown at it and as stated above, with integrated graphics you havnt got the hefty added expense of buying a GPU to pair with it.

For a fast office pc, you need two things.
  1. A good ssd. Since you have a 1tb nvme drive, that nails that requirement.
  2. You want a processor with good single thread performance.
You might want to read this review of the intel i3-10100 processor and how it does in an office environment:

On graphics, intel integrated graphics can handle anything except fast action gaming.

What case did you have in mind?

What kind of work is your father going to do with the PC? Software used, etc?

For office suite and web browsing as many mention here already either a 2400G or 3400G will be enough. And you get to use the motherboard you have already.

If you really need a GPU for CAD or similar then you could probably get away with a Ryzen 3 3300X with atleast 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz (thats a 4 cores/8threads CPU with a performance close or higher, depending on the benchmark, to the i7 7700K).

You may need a BIOS update depending on the CPU you choose.

Solution