[SOLVED] GPU for Athlon 64 5000+

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Hi guys could you recommend me a GPU for an Athlon 64 5000+ with 4gb ddr2 800mhz?

I know it's a very old CPU but it's only to play old games (2011 and older)

Solution
the 9800gt should work, if it is pci express and the motheroard has pci express, it should work

newer gpus that should work, yes, something like a gtx 480 more or less should work

a hd 7000 series perhaps should work too, but i mentioned the first two because i remember that is what was in use on that time, so it must work, also the power consumption and heat from a gtx 480 is considerably higher, so is better a bit older gpu

there are modern gpus that will work with the old bios from that motherboard, for example gt 1030, that should be 2 or 3 times more powerful than the 9800 gt and you can find it used, but i never used a so new gpu with a so old motherboard, is not impossible that you will find problems, so the first option are...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
for a cpu from that time, most people buy old ati or amd hd 4370, or a geforce 9800

try to find one with 512mbs of vram minimum, those were the ones sold on that tie more or less 2008

the motherboard slot is what dictates the gpu you buy, should have pci express, but if it only has agp, that changes things

Reactions: Cirices

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
for a cpu from that time, most people buy old ati or amd hd 4370, or a geforce 9800

try to find one with 512mbs of vram minimum, those were the ones sold on that tie more or less 2008

the motherboard slot is what dictates the gpu you buy, should have pci express, but if it only has agp, that changes things

Thank you. It's for a friend actually. He had a 8600 gt until it failed. If he could run that gpu with his mobo he will be able to connect a 9800?

Holy smoke Cirices, cool the good old days. Old AMD fan here myself. I just popped opened my old Silverstone TJ06 and I was thinking what the heck was it 3700 -3800 opened it and hell a 3400. I still have all the chips for those years in the tool bin, lol okay moving on. well in those days we ran Nvidia GT 6800, GT 7800, GT 8800' AND gt 9800'S

So for starters the newer AMD 570/580 have UEFI BIOS and Nvidia I here with the 2nd release if the 1060 on up as well has UEFI BIOS. you won't be able to use these.

Maybe a GTX 670 GTX 770 that might be a smooth happy integration.

By the way I bought my last GTX 670 $15.00 and the GTX 770 x2 &45.00 each

Last edited:

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the 9800gt should work, if it is pci express and the motheroard has pci express, it should work

newer gpus that should work, yes, something like a gtx 480 more or less should work

a hd 7000 series perhaps should work too, but i mentioned the first two because i remember that is what was in use on that time, so it must work, also the power consumption and heat from a gtx 480 is considerably higher, so is better a bit older gpu

there are modern gpus that will work with the old bios from that motherboard, for example gt 1030, that should be 2 or 3 times more powerful than the 9800 gt and you can find it used, but i never used a so new gpu with a so old motherboard, is not impossible that you will find problems, so the first option are those gpus mentioned in my first comment

Last edited:
Solution

Cirices

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Thank you both. I was looking first for a HD 7000 series but I'm afraid of his PSU and the bottleneck. He only wants to spend on a GPU for playing games of the 2000s. 9800 gt will be. Thanks.

Reactions: atljsf