[SOLVED] Gpu for dell Optiplex 755

Sep 7, 2019
I would like to know if Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 fits in dell optiplex 755 and I use desktop version with 275 watts and a core 2 dou CPU please suggest as I don't know if it is low profile or not nor do I know if it needs an extra cable or fits in or even fits in the case.

Any answer would be highly appreciated.
Thank you!

Solution
Ok thanks anyway.
Just to put things into perspective, I have a Core 2 Duo, 6gb DDR2 dell, similar to yours but more recent, and faster. I put in a $20 GPU, R7 250, which isn't great, but still outperforms the GT 730, and I run fortnite at a barely playable 20-30fps, lowest settings at 1280*1024. Unfortunately, a certain level of performance is going to cost a certain amount of money. A dual core low profile requiring Optiplex just isn't going to get there any cheaper, and all you'll get is a poor experience. Save up a little money, and get a ps4 and you can play it, or spend around the cost of a new ps4 on a used quad core i3 or i5 and slap in a decent midrange card from the last few years and you'll be golden.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would think most GTX470 would be quite large. When you say desktop version, which do you mean?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-755/overview

GTX470 is also a tad old and uses a lot of power for its performance (215W alone). 275W is not enough, particularly with an older OEM power supply.

A more recent equivalent would be the GTX750Ti, GTX950, or GTX1050, with the GTX1650 probably outperforming it by a bit, at 1/3 the power requirements.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Spotted a couple of GTX750 being sold on reddit.com/r/hardwareswap for $35-45

Unless you poked around on ebay and snagged a used card at bargain prices, and it happened to work, and wasn't a knockoff BIOS hacked garbage, you are going to need at least $75 to get something.

That would get you a GT730, or R5-230 new. Just barely worth buying.

Remeca

Reputable
Ok thanks anyway.
Just to put things into perspective, I have a Core 2 Duo, 6gb DDR2 dell, similar to yours but more recent, and faster. I put in a $20 GPU, R7 250, which isn't great, but still outperforms the GT 730, and I run fortnite at a barely playable 20-30fps, lowest settings at 1280*1024. Unfortunately, a certain level of performance is going to cost a certain amount of money. A dual core low profile requiring Optiplex just isn't going to get there any cheaper, and all you'll get is a poor experience. Save up a little money, and get a ps4 and you can play it, or spend around the cost of a new ps4 on a used quad core i3 or i5 and slap in a decent midrange card from the last few years and you'll be golden.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks a lot however I 'm not thinking of buying garbage I am buying from amazon Sir.

Amazon is going to limit you, and there are certainly fake cards to be found there. Be very cautious of suspiciously well priced cards. If it is too good to be true, it likely isn't. It is very common practice for older cards to have their BIOS modded so they show up as newer models. Often they will list the specs, if they don't match up with the official specs, avoid it. Unlabeled graphics cards are also highly suspect.

Always more performance to be had buying used hardware if you are willing to take the risk.

Reactions: Hgamer 999

Remeca

Reputable
I cant recommend anything for $30 that will work for what you want. You need to either spend more and get a gt 1030, or sell what you have and buy a ps4, or a quad core pc with a bigger case and a psu with pcie 6 pin, then you're at a point where a $30 card will help you run games like fortnite.

Remeca

Reputable
That's why I said get a new computer. It looks like your mobo supports some quads though, like the Q6600, if you insist on keeping your current platform. Even though you technically support up to Q9650, I wouldn't recommend it highly without a PSU.

TRENDING THREADS