marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
Hello folks,

I am in the process of assembling my new gaming rig and I am down to just choosing a new graphics card. I currently have an RX580 from my old box that I installed before the motherboard decided to die on me so I started building a new box.

I am looking to get 2 1440p monitors to replace the old (7 or 8 years old) 1080p screens I have and I wasn't sure what kind of card(s) I would need to handle two monitors like that. Being out of the monitor market for a while, I heard about GSync and FreeSync though I don't know much about them. Ideally, I would like to be able to run a VR headset like the Vive or Rift but if that isn't possible without a bank-breaking GPU, I could understand.

Any advice on the GPU and monitor combo would be appreciated.

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
Budget isn't really an issue but with the caveat that I have a hard time justifying spending $1300 on a GPU that will be replaced in a few months by a newer $1300 GPU coming on the market.

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
(meant to post this here instead of in graphics cards)

Hello folks,

I am in the process of assembling my new gaming rig and I am down to just choosing a new graphics card. I currently have an RX580 from my old box that I installed before the motherboard decided to die on me so I started building a new box.

I am looking to get 2 1440p monitors to replace the old (7 or 8 years old) 1080p screens I have and I wasn't sure what kind of card(s) I would need to handle two monitors like that. Being out of the monitor market for a while, I heard about GSync and FreeSync though I don't know much about them. Ideally, I would like to be able to run a VR headset like the Vive or Rift but if that isn't possible without a bank-breaking GPU, I could understand.

Budget isn't really an issue but with the caveat that I have a hard time justifying spending $1300 on a GPU that will be replaced in a few months by a newer $1300 GPU coming on the market.

Any advice on the GPU and monitor combo would be appreciated.