GPU for Graphic Design. Not Gaming.

nrylee

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Hello, I am putting together a PC for a friend who is in graphic design. The pc will be a workstation only, no games or anything really besides Photoshop and other graphics software. I am setting him up with a machine that should allow him to use PS without any slowing.

Current build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZPhkQ7

My question is, as far as Graphic Design performance is concerned, would a GPU with GDDR5 be any real difference compared to GDDR3, because I can get a 1GB GDDR3 for a much nicer price, and all I really need it for is posting a picture to two 1920 monitors.

The two graphics cards I was considering are:
GT610 1GB GDDR3 for $45.99
GT740 1GB GDDR5 for $94.99

I understand that the GT740 is more than twice as good as the GT610, but I am only concerned with whether or not the GT610 will bottleneck performance of Photoshop like software (not video editing).

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Depends on what actual thing you are doing in photoshop some filters and features may require the help of a GPU to do it faster
Since this isn't "making a movie" so you would go with any modern GPU
When it comes to the Photo edit programs the most important thing to check in the GPU is Memory bandwidth & bus ( how fast the GPU is sending and receiving data from the memory chips )
The GT 740 has far better memory bandwidth & bigger bus meaning it will do filters and features faster than the GT610

HD 7750 should get you far better performance than the GT 740
HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 $79.99

If you want there is also a better card with 2GB GDDR5
R7 360 2GB GDDR5 $114.99

nrylee

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

So I found a benchmark test for Photoshop CS6 filters that use the GPU (here). It is an older test, but it looks like the 7750 is a little less that 33% faster on average. Considering it's a little over 33% of the price, I will buy the cheaper GPU for now, and if in the future those filters become a performance bottleneck, I'll set him up with a GPU nicer than both of those.