dineshsam

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Guys recommend me a good gpu to upgrade my current setup.
Here’s my current specs:
CPU: core i 7 3770
M/B: Asus p8h61
RAM: 8GB
Cutrent GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti 1GB
PSU: 400W gold 80
(I bought that gpu from ebay)
Please recommend me a good update.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What's the budget? New or used? If the 400w psu is good quality and not a piece of junk (Gold has nothing to do with quality) the best you could do is a gtx1660ti, but that's brand new, best used would be a gtx1060 6Gb (2 steps down from the 1660ti) but equitable to a gtx970 (about 4 steps up from a 750ti. Avoid AMD gpus, you don't have enough power to use anything that'll be better than the gpu you have.

dineshsam

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
What's the budget? New or used? If the 400w psu is good quality and not a piece of junk (Gold has nothing to do with quality) the best you could do is a gtx1660ti, but that's brand new, best used would be a gtx1060 6Gb (2 steps down from the 1660ti) but equitable to a gtx970 (about 4 steps up from a 750ti. Avoid AMD gpus, you don't have enough power to use anything that'll be better than the gpu you have.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sorry. You are at the limit of what that psu can do. Only just. Power Logic psus (they make that psu) do not tell the truth about anything. According to the sticker, that's 20A and 18A on 2x 12v rails. According to everything I could find, there's only 1 rail controlled with a transistor that's rated at 350w generally, 400w if you get lucky. My Seasonic 520w is 40A by comparison. So I'm not understanding how that adds up to a 400w unit having almost as much power as a 520w Seasonic. Not with both being group regulated.

Power Logic also uses some of the worst, cheap, low quality capacitors there is, and other low quality components on the pcb. It's a running joke amongst many pros as to how much power it'll take before it explodes. Not IF, but WHEN.

Again, sorry, but I'd not advise putting a more powerful gpu on that psu

dineshsam

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I'm sorry. You are at the limit of what that psu can do. Only just. Power Logic psus (they make that psu) do not tell the truth about anything. According to the sticker, that's 20A and 18A on 2x 12v rails. According to everything I could find, there's only 1 rail controlled with a transistor that's rated at 350w generally, 400w if you get lucky. My Seasonic 520w is 40A by comparison. So I'm not understanding how that adds up to a 400w unit having almost as much power as a 520w Seasonic. Not with both being group regulated.

Power Logic also uses some of the worst, cheap, low quality capacitors there is, and other low quality components on the pcb. It's a running joke amongst many pros as to how much power it'll take before it explodes. Not IF, but WHEN.

Again, sorry, but I'd not advise putting a more powerful gpu on that psu
I like to upgrade my gpu to gtx 1660 ti. Then what psu should i go with? Can you recommend me a brand?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, not a brand. Well maybe Seasonic, but that's the only OEM that makes solid psus across any series. Every other 'brand' has psu lines that go from junk to excellent. The Corsair, Evga brands have some of the best series there is, and the worst.
What's needed is a probable budget and a location.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also, once you get a decent PSU, you can also consider some AMD cards. I will strongly second Karadjgne's recommendation of Seasonic.

Particularly the RX 570. Generally performs around the ballpark of a GTX 1060, but, at least in the US, typically goes for notably less than a 1050Ti.