[SOLVED] GPU for non gaming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Samule1234

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
Hi,
I want to build a new PC but I won't be using it for gaming. I made a parts list https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BxnrFG
but I have one problem: Since the PC wont be used for gaming but for writing emails and watching YouTube I don't need a powerful GPU. I originally wanted to go for and intel core i5 9600k so that I could use the integrated graphics but I decided against it as it has half the threads of the ryzen 5 3600 and I would also have to get a cooler. Problem with the ryzen 5 3600 is that it doesn't have integrated graphics. I currently have a gt 1030 as the gpu in the parts list but i dont really know if that is a good idea or if its sufficient for YouTube.

What GPU should I get? does it make more sense to get the i5 9600k?
Again it wont be used for anything more than writing emails and watching 1080p YouTube videos.

Samule1234

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
You're over thinking massively for your uses in my opinion. I would go ryzen simply for the upgradability factor, intel keep changing sockets and boards like the wind over the last 4 years.

3400g would be absolutely fine and do everything you need.

Or a straight non apu and the gt 1030.
that's why i wanted to go with ryzen in the first place. Its tough because if I get the ryzen 3400g i dont have to get a gpu but who knows if AMD will make more APU's and in that case buying a new ryzen chip and a gpu might cost as much as a cheap mobo and new intel chip.

that's why i wanted to go with ryzen in the first place. Its tough because if I get the ryzen 3400g i dont have to get a gpu but who knows if AMD will make more APU's and in that case buying a new ryzen chip and a gpu might cost as much as a cheap mobo and new intel chip.

4400g is still a rumour but it's almost a certainty, theres room on the ryzen die for 6c/12t and vega graphics easily.

AMD will not stop making apu's, that's never going to happen.

Also for your uses even something like the 3400g will be good for 3 years minimum.

Unless I needed absolute top end gaming performance nowadays with no real budget issues intel would not even come into consideration at all.

Personally If I didn't fancy the 3400g I'd look at the ryzen 2600, it's $80 less than the 3600 and the performance difference for most cases is absolutely negligible.

Samule1234

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
Thank you all for the help.
I do agree that the 3400g does seem great and it even comes with a cooler. I guess i will pair it with some B550 board and that should do the trick. I guess I could even try overclocking it a little.

Samule1234

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
The B550 boards dont support the 3400G.
Thats ridiculous... Do you think the 4400g or whatever they call it will be supported on the b450's? If not intel makes more sense here, I will get 6 cores and 6 threads with the intel i5 9600k for the same price as the 3400g. The 9600k also comes bundled with a motherboard in my local store so its like 90$ cheaper.