Question GPU for Ryzen 3700X + X570 mobo, non-gaming

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
New build. Not a gamer. Frame rate? Whazzat?<G>

I do DTP (w/database publishing, kinda automatic data flow) and general messing around.

Choosing between an RX580 or RX5500 GPU. 5500 supports pcie-4.0 which is why the Sabrent M2 delivers about 5,500 random read benchmarks (not a typo!), and am wondering if this would also make the RX-5500 "snappier" than a 580 or 480 or others of that generation.

I am thinking that there's not much difference between them at this time. But that the 5500 is a click newer .... and, well, I do have some old AMD cards where I can no longer get drivers from AMD. I'd like to avoid that.

I don't see any advantage is upping the cost to a 590 or such. If you do, let me know.

Suggestions?

TIA!

New build. Not a gamer. Frame rate? Whazzat?<G>

I do DTP (w/database publishing, kinda automatic data flow) and general messing around.

Choosing between an RX580 or RX5500 GPU. 5500 supports pcie-4.0 which is why the Sabrent M2 delivers about 5,500 random read benchmarks (not a typo!), and am wondering if this would also make the RX-5500 "snappier" than a 580 or 480 or others of that generation.

I am thinking that there's not much difference between them at this time. But that the 5500 is a click newer .... and, well, I do have some old AMD cards where I can no longer get drivers from AMD. I'd like to avoid that.

I don't see any advantage is upping the cost to a 590 or such. If you do, let me know.

Suggestions?

TIA!
Get the RX5500XT, and you have a very capable pc you can consider something better like 5600XT or even the 5700XT you can even consider waiting for the RX6000 series.

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
DTP usually means multiple high resolution displays. Get a graphics card with enough memory to support the displays, make sure and get an 8GB version. The port types differ by manufacturer, so verify that the one you pick has the ports you need.

Frame rates and speed of rendering are very seldom issues in DTP. They are in gaming and video rendering. I'm not doing video but print. And an 8GB RX580 is no better than a 4GB RX440 in my operational view. I have an RX5500 ready to go into the Ryzen, but I don't expect even the Gen 4 to affect real video performance over the (I think) RX460 that's in there. I avoid NVidia cards because they've cost me too much time troubleshooting and eventually discarding the card working on W10. On the mac, I'm using old NVidia cards. They work there.

And "High Resolution" is not all that great for text-based DTP. I usually back down the resolution so my nearly 80-year old eyes can read the damn thing<G> But then I've only been doing this for about 40 years.<G>.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Frankly, if all you are doing is DTP, almost any video card that uses PCIE 3.0 or PCIE 4.0 with the proper video outputs should work fine. Hardly any need for more than 4 GB of VRAM. I have 2 HP W2007 displays (1680 X 1050) that work fine - and they don't even have HDMI inputs! I'm also not sure that upgrading the motherboard and processor to say a X570 and Ryzen 5000 series won't be overkill. The reason is that PCIE 4.0 only gives PCIE 4.0 performance if there is a single PCIE slot used. Once multiple slots are utilized the performance will revert to PCIE 3.0.