GPU for web\movie uses?

Aug 13, 2018
Hello,

I am building a setup for my mom.
She only surfs the web, plays web games and watched movies.
I want the system to be able to perform ok with outputing display to a TV. Not Blu-ray stuff.. Just maximum 1080P or so.
Are the GT210/220/710 enough for the job?

What graphics card should I buy as for today's best "bang for the buck"?
And how much GB of memory for a GPU should I consider?

Thanks.

Solution
HTML 5/Silverlight/Netflix/Basic Web-based games/WMP all will work with just about any DX 9 GPU here are some basic recommendations.

CPU Dual Core 1.7ghz
GPU DX9 512mb of VRAM " 256mb is lowest for H.264 playback, 512mb is the lowest for Java-based gaming"
RAM 2GB Win 10/Win 7/Linux for playback and streaming 4GBfor Web-based gaming under Windows.

So you could go all the way back to the Geforce 6 series "2005" and still have a card that would work. If you want something for next to nothing I have an 8500 gt and 9600 gt you can have just pay the shipping, I usually scrap anything lower than a 400 series now when they come from an upgrade.

To be honest, a Rasberry pi 3 $35 and most of those Android multimedia devices are fully capable...
Any modern iGPU is capable for that kind of workload, unless you are buying one of the Ryzen CPUs without integrated graphics. You dont need a seperate card for that, but in case you want to, a gtx1030 should be enough...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 DDR4 2GB Video Card ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $77.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-14 11:44 EDT-0400

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Hellfire,

I own an old E8400 cpu with a mobo which has no built in GPU.
GT1030 costs like twice as much as the options I've listed above. Is there any reason to consider it?

Thanks!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
IGPU is the best way to go for just streaming, less power and room needed which allows you to go with a itx motherboard and very small case. If you have a CPU now then a GT710/720/730 are the cheaper options they are all capable of 4K or 1080p with 3 monitors while the prices range from $35 to $54. I would also suggest a passively cooled card for HTPC type use since you never have to worry about fans. Since your using a LGA775 it's probably using a Legacy BIOS which limits you on the 900 and 1000 series GPU's, a 710/720/730 will all work without any issues.

Aug 13, 2018

I wonder though how much "juice" do I really need.. I mean.. back at the day when I've had a 8800GTS card I've never felt anything wrong about surfing or watching movies. even FHD ones.
As for today, this card is total garbage.. So can't I just go for just... ANY card?

Basically are you saying I should go with the 1030?

Thanks

I didn't plan on doing this, but it does sound interesting. How well should a system like this run for these uses?

Thanks.

Is it really the best way? I mean.. if so, why do people buy a GPU for an HTPC? For 4K and other high res stuff?
I really just need it for 1 monitor and 1080P tops. Just a smooth PC for browsing basically.

About the BIOS- Isn't the 1000 series the newest anyway?

Thanks

Aug 13, 2018

Let's say I get a brand new 8800gts card. Wouldn't it be able to run smoothly windows operations and WMP? Just wondering why not.

I actually don't know what to do.. I am thinking about a built in GPU.
I just don't get one thing. iGPU is in the CPU or in the MOBO? I've seen both parts "offer" iGPU..

A GT 710 is ideal for this sort of thing. It provides the power for video playback, uses very little power, and you can get them with the video output you need(HDMI, VGA, etc). It's also new enough to work well with today's media software.

I'd be wary about going for something as old as a 8800 GTS. I'm not saying it's not good enough, but unless that's all you can afford you can do better than that.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
HTML 5/Silverlight/Netflix/Basic Web-based games/WMP all will work with just about any DX 9 GPU here are some basic recommendations.

CPU Dual Core 1.7ghz
GPU DX9 512mb of VRAM " 256mb is lowest for H.264 playback, 512mb is the lowest for Java-based gaming"
RAM 2GB Win 10/Win 7/Linux for playback and streaming 4GBfor Web-based gaming under Windows.

So you could go all the way back to the Geforce 6 series "2005" and still have a card that would work. If you want something for next to nothing I have an 8500 gt and 9600 gt you can have just pay the shipping, I usually scrap anything lower than a 400 series now when they come from an upgrade.

To be honest, a Rasberry pi 3 $35 and most of those Android multimedia devices are fully capable of doing what you want and take up less space.

Solution

arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008

It has been few months since you posted this. Did you buy a card yet ?

If not then I see your CPU from 2008 era. Pretty old. Better to build with Ryzen and you don't need a graphics card then. I think overall, looking at the whole, building a new Ryzen based computer with new PSU and new MOBO, new RAM, will be better than just buying a new card.

TRENDING THREADS