Question GPU Fried my system?

Nov 24, 2021
While gaming my PC randomly shut off, no blue screens or any other errors were encountered, it just completely shut off. I was unable to get it to restart after multiple attempts. I decided to reset all of the components to see if that'd work. During this process I noticed that the system appears to boot once the GPU is removed ( Fans run and LED's appear). I put the GPU into a system I know works, and same occurrence the other PC would not start, so I think it's safe to assume that the GPU is fried. ( Note I also changed out the PSU to eliminate that as a cause)

I attempted to use the integrated graphics at this point, but I'm unable to get any video after trying multiple cords, monitors, and restarts. I tried to put in a GPU that I know works into my system, and I experienced the same issue. I can't seem to get anything on my monitor. I've read that I must get into the BIOS to be able to initiate the integrated graphics or switch my image to a new GPU, but I can not get into the BIOS due to the sudden failure of my system and no image appearing.

Is it possible my MOBA is fried also? Despite seeing fans and LED's turn on?

My MOBA is an azrock z97 pro.
The GPU is a GTX 970 4gb
The CPU is an i5

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021
That's a really old PSU. It is possible it died, and took your other components out with it. You can try a cmos reset, in order to see if that will get your integrated graphics to work.

My system as a whole is about 8-10 years old, so I think you may be right on that lol. Just sucks it was so abrupt. I had no indication anything was faulting.

Would that entail me pulling the battery cell out of the MOBA? I attempted this, and left it out for 30 minutes or so before reinstalling it and trying again, still couldn't get anywhere. ):

Thanks again for your help.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I was right in the middle of playing a game and it was like the power went out, except the lights were still on in the room. The PC wouldn't turn on at all. I tried a new PSU and that didn't help. I removed the GPU from the rig and it would power up. Plug the PSU back in, no power. Out of curiosity, did you plug your monitor cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU when trying to use integrated graphics?

Reactions: Slacker_x1
Nov 24, 2021
I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I was right in the middle of playing a game and it was like the power went out, except the lights were still on in the room. The PC wouldn't turn on at all. I tried a new PSU and that didn't help. I removed the GPU from the rig and it would power up. Plug the PSU back in, no power. Out of curiosity, did you plug your monitor cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU when trying to use integrated graphics?

Yes I did, I tried HDMI and VGA hookups on the motherboard. Couldn't get either to work.

I also installed a GPU I know worked, and it responded (Fans came on ETC), but couldn't get an Image.