Question GPU fried with water. How do I start windows with new gpu?

Joselox

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Hello,
I am from Argentina, and my GF just fried my gpu with water.
First of all i am running:
Corsair hx750w
Asus z97-e usb3.1
32gb RAM gskill
Intel i7 4790k
Samsung Evo Ssd drive
Geforce gtx 1070ti (/cry...this is like 3 salaries here...)
Windows 10 pro

Lets proceed, she poured it at the top of the case through the upper fan, into the cooler (ev12 máster cooler or something like that), and lastly into the gpu.
I will tell you what i tried so you can make your conclusions.
Firstly I came home and its been 30-60 min. since the incident happened. She didnt know until i tried starting the PC (i always leave it on)
I realize some usb at the back were wet so i opened the case. I dried everything as best as I could and then I almost soaked all the parts I could with an atomizer with isopropílic alcohol. Dried again and left a hairdrier running for like 10min
I tried to start PC, but a message pops up in screen saying i forgot to power my gpu. From this I ASSUME at least that Power supply, RAM, and MB work. I plugged the power into the gpu and computer starts for like 2 seconds and turns off just like when it was wet.
Note: for some reason I had my gpu connected into the lower pci slot.
I tried a new gpu on both pci slots that the z97 has, but it wont start. Shuts down after 2 seconds with no beeps. It makes one short beep but i think its way too soft i dunno...
The new gpu is a MSI geforce gt710 1gb ddr3. I dont even know if it is compatible, it doesnt even have a power connector.
My questions are...:
Is my windows 10 gpu driver not letting me boot up with new gpu?
Note: my MB does not have integrated graphics, bit i think my processor has...not sure...not sure if it is the 4790k also...sorry
Can i enter BIOS with no GPU?
If i can enter bios i can start from usb Windows and delete drivers to install new gpu correct?
Any other suggestions?
Thank you guys in advance...
José A. Mikulas

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you actually have an i7-4770K, you have integrated graphics. But you have to connect the monitor to the motherboard and remove the GPU completely.

It's quite possible more is broken. The message you got about powering your GPU does not mean your PSU is fine.

Joselox

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
If you actually have an i7-4770K, you have integrated graphics. But you have to connect the monitor to the motherboard and remove the GPU completely.

It's quite possible more is broken. The message you got about powering your GPU does not mean your PSU is fine.
Thanks for your answer.
I just confirmed its the intel I-7 4790k and i tried starting the PC without gpu and it wont start after 2 seconds it shuts down.
The message i recieved got my computer on until i shut it down, isnt that a sign that my PSU is ok?
I think i am in trouble...

Joselox

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Update: i just connected gpu to a Brand new PC i had prepared for work. Monitor connected to HDMI and working, but Lots of green dots appearing flashing at screen. Hope its a driver problem. Will uninstall gtx710 drivers and install the ones for the 1070ti

Update 2: I wiggled the HDMI cable and not imagen is perfect, OMG i think we are saved (at least from gpu which is most expensive) i guess i will take the rest to a tech repair guy.

Last edited: