GPU functions, is detected. no video signal

Mark Jurgenson

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello all,

I cant get the motherboard to give me video when the GPU was installed. Discovered in the BIOS that I can change from auto detect to iGPU only. Now I can get video through the motherboard. I cannot however get any signal through the GPU (HDMI(GPU)-DisplayPort(Monitor)) |

The card has the drivers loaded, its detected, I can even run stress tests through Heaven(And it gives me card detection but at a much lower memory rating (350Mb) than the card rates during the stress test. Its accessing the card, but its not operating properly, as the video is not being distributed by the card.

Ive had the card into a repair guy, who plugged it into a different system, and booted it with no issues. So I am loath to believe the card is bad. I am pretty well convinced it is a software issue/issue with the signal header I'm using on the card. The drivers for the GPU(as well as across the platform) are up to date now as well.

#1. Could the problem be hardware related? Could the Card be failing? During POST it boots fine, fans spin, and the firmware appears to be operating. I would try a different video source (DVI-I or DVI-D, or Displayport from the GPU.) but if that doesnt solve the problem, I want other options.

#2. Could it be a software issue with the Intel video drivers?

#3 Is there anyway to diagnose the hardware using home tools? I really don't want to have to go out and buy more new cables. . .

My setup:

Seasonic Focus platinum 650w
ASUS Z170-A Mobo
i7-6700
ZOTAC dual fan GTX 970 4GB(Base version)
Gskillz Trident-Z 3000Mhz DDR4
Coolermaster Nepton120XL
Crucial 2.5" MX500 SSD

Solution
The BIOS video setting has three basic optional settings:
AUTO = Auto detection and use of the graphics source that's connected to the display
IGFX = Manual setting for detection and use of integrated graphics
PEG = "PEG Link Mode (PCI Express Graphics Link Mode) is a feature available in the BIOS of some ASUS motherboards, which automatically overclocks the video card by a small amount. The possible settings for the option are Auto, Slow (Disabled), Normal, Fast, and Faster". (quoted from Asus Z170-A user manual)
PCIE = Manual setting for detection of the PCIe graphics card

Needless to say, the BIOS setting must be in the PCIe option if the Auto setting doesn't work.

See page 2-37 in the Asus...
The BIOS video setting has three basic optional settings:
AUTO = Auto detection and use of the graphics source that's connected to the display
IGFX = Manual setting for detection and use of integrated graphics
PEG = "PEG Link Mode (PCI Express Graphics Link Mode) is a feature available in the BIOS of some ASUS motherboards, which automatically overclocks the video card by a small amount. The possible settings for the option are Auto, Slow (Disabled), Normal, Fast, and Faster". (quoted from Asus Z170-A user manual)
PCIE = Manual setting for detection of the PCIe graphics card

Needless to say, the BIOS setting must be in the PCIe option if the Auto setting doesn't work.

See page 2-37 in the Asus Z170-A motherboard
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10611_Z170-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.104346240.1258157240.1520446533-1817302538.1520446533

If the PCIe setting still fails to detect the graphics card, you may have to Reset the BIOS, particularly if you have been adding and removing component/components or repeatedly turning the computer ON-OFF before it was set to go.

In that case, it's rather common for BIOS settings to get corrupted or stuck on a previous setting, and doing a full shutdown allowing a few seconds before powering the computer back on may solve it... if not, it's time for a BIOS reset.

Follow this reset procedure exactly.
1. Remove AC power or turn off the PSU
2. Remove the battery
3. Move the BIOS jumper to pins 2 & 3
4. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
5. Wait 10 minutes
6. Revert 1 through 3 and try the computer

Solution