Question GPU gets recognised and provides video but zero gpu usage in games, is it dead ?

siddharthgeddam

Honorable
May 13, 2017
I have a 3 year old 1050 ti and i am nit sure if it's dead or not . It gets recognized on msi afterburner, device manager and nvidia control panel. It seems to providing the video output according to windows but when i open a game there's just zero gpu usage on the graph.

update: I tried a new hdmi but the result was the same. After a restart a message popped up that nvidia control panel wasn't found and now i can't find it on the taskbar or on the right click menu.

Last edited:

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
try stress test it with heaven benchmark or msi kombustor
stress test app usually tells you at what percentage is your gpu being utilized

and yes, there's no way a gpu is dead when it's still providing video, just because it's said it have 0 utilization

siddharthgeddam

Honorable
May 13, 2017
Then it is a report bug because there is no way that you can run a game and have 0 utilization, it is not possible.
When i run a game it runs like a slideshow , the afterburner graph for gpu usage shows small peaks in between but the usage is effectively zero. Is afterburner a reliable way to check whether the gpu is doing any processing ?

siddharthgeddam

Honorable
May 13, 2017
try stress test it with heaven benchmark or msi kombustor
stress test app usually tells you at what percentage is your gpu being utilized

and yes, there's no way a gpu is dead when it's still providing video, just because it's said it have 0 utilization
Okay i ran a benchmark on heaven and got an avg fps of 59 fps and score of 1722 , afterburner too showed full gpu usage . So i think it's safe to assume that the gpu isn't dead . Could this be a driver issue because a couple of weeks ago i reverted back to old nvidia driver 446.14. Also the nivida control panel has now dissapeared.

KyaraM

Admirable
Okay i ran a benchmark on heaven and got an avg fps of 59 fps and score of 1722 , afterburner too showed full gpu usage . So i think it's safe to assume that the gpu isn't dead . Could this be a driver issue because a couple of weeks ago i reverted back to old nvidia driver 446.14. Also the nivida control panel has now dissapeared.
If the control panel is missing, then I would reinstall it. Maybe something weird happened when you reverted back to the old driver. I would try to uninstall it with DDU and reinstall both. See if that helps. The score sounds decent, though, at least to someone who has no clue where it should be. It's not a great card, though, so it sounds reasonable.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
it's either your monitoring app that's faulty / incompatible with your driver or card, or it's the driver that's faulty
either way, i wouldn't mind it much if i were you. what's important is whether you get to read the temp of your card. gpu usage is not that much important imo unless you want to check cpu gpu bottleneck

but ofc it would bother you
why else would you start this thread?

just like Kyara said, try reinstalling the driver by uninstalling the current with DDU in safe mode first to ensure clean install
and also reinstall or use another monitoring app, there're lots of them not only one

also, if im not mistaken nvidia control panel can be installed from windows store in windows 10

Reactions: KyaraM

siddharthgeddam

Honorable
May 13, 2017
If the control panel is missing, then I would reinstall it. Maybe something weird happened when you reverted back to the old driver. I would try to uninstall it with DDU and reinstall both. See if that helps. The score sounds decent, though, at least to someone who has no clue where it should be. It's not a great card, though, so it sounds reasonable.
I have now installed the latest drivers (used DDU to uninstall). It didn't solve the problem. Should i try a fresh install of windows and see if that helps?

Using another monitoring app may not help because they all get data from the same source. Task Manager is the only one that's different, but activity may not appear on the default graphs.

Also a note about using DDU, you have to make sure the computer is not connected to the internet (unless you're reinstalling drivers in safe mode) because Windows may download something anyway before you get to the driver installer.