Question GPU gets very hot and very loud very quick

Nov 2, 2020
Hello, I have a question about the GPU on my Asus Laptop (Nvidia GeForce 1050).

For quite a while already I notice that my GPU gets very hot and very loud pretty fast. Example: I use google chrome and have multiple sessions open plus some simple microsoft programms like word or excel and my GPU quickly launches its fans and it's not rare that it reaches about 80 degrees celsius... But most of the time I get worried when the fans get super loud and the temperature reaches even the 95 degreees C mark. This usually happens when I play any kind of game on it's lowest graphics settings. I know some stuff about computers and things but I'm far away from an expert, but in my eyes 95 degrees doesn't sound very healthy. Is there a way I could check what uses so many ressources? Like an overview where I can see what programm consumes the most.

If anyone needs more specs about the Laptop I'm using: VivoBook Pro 15 N580
Feel free to send me a message and ask for any other things!

Ian_1979

Reputable
Aug 20, 2016
Hello, I have a question about the GPU on my Asus Laptop (Nvidia GeForce 1050).

For quite a while already I notice that my GPU gets very hot and very loud pretty fast. Example: I use google chrome and have multiple sessions open plus some simple microsoft programms like word or excel and my GPU quickly launches its fans and it's not rare that it reaches about 80 degrees celsius... But most of the time I get worried when the fans get super loud and the temperature reaches even the 95 degreees C mark. This usually happens when I play any kind of game on it's lowest graphics settings. I know some stuff about computers and things but I'm far away from an expert, but in my eyes 95 degrees doesn't sound very healthy. Is there a way I could check what uses so many ressources? Like an overview where I can see what programm consumes the most.

If anyone needs more specs about the Laptop I'm using: VivoBook Pro 15 N580
Feel free to send me a message and ask for any other things!
To me it sounds like either thermal paste needs replacing or something is wrong with the cooling fan inside your laptop. Should just be able to use task manager performance to see what program is consuming the most.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I know very little about laptops, but have you tried limiting the max power/temp limit in a program like afterburner ?

I notice if I scale that back on my 2070-s, the temps drop as much as 12c, but framerate in games actually remains the same. I think the only consequence is that frame latency is a little higher. Also in afterburner, try setting an aggressive fan-curve via the settings menu.

One other thing- does the GPU temp correlate to the load on the GPU ? If it's getting that high at low load then there is definitely something wrong with the device. I would suggest doing a clean install of the graphics driver, but I'm not sure that will help.