[SOLVED] GPU getting hot

Jul 23, 2021
Hi, I'm running an Alienware Aurora r8 and it's about 3 years old. I took the liquid cooling option. However, the last couple weeks my fans are occasionally spinning fast but briefly during demanding games. I used the task manager to discover the my GPU hits about 78 C then the fans go nuts for just a few seconds. I've never noticed what my GPU temp was before this started going on. So I have two questions, 1) Why is this new behavior happening all of a sudden? And 2) As long as my GPU doesn't go passed 78 C, is that good enough? Nope, make that 3 questions, what should I do?
Using an Intel Core i7 9700k 3.6 ghz processor on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. 16gb of RAM. (Task Manager doesn't specify). NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070. 460w PSU (far as i can tell) 3 years old, yes, lots of gaming. 128g Liteon SATA SSD that boots windows, 90gb used. ST2000DM001 2TB disk drive using 1.5TB of that. And a 500gb Samsung EVO Plus SSD, connected via PCIE adapter with 57gb free.

Last edited:

A Gamer

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2016
I suppose, Alienware is using minimal space for the components in the computer, making it harder to cool. Besides cleaning the computer once in awhile there is not much else what you can do. My 3070 get to around 73 in a normal tower. I would say till around 83 are okay numbers. Other thing you could do is undervolt the card, it might take performance but who knows you have a silicon lottery card :)

Jul 23, 2021
Well, after lots of searching around, (Dell makes it impossible to get information), my GPU isn't heating up more than normal it's some stupid problem that apparently plagues lots of Aurora R8's and R9's. Fans spinning at absurd RPMs for a moment when heat reaches the upper 70's. Dells is quite aware of it and they even have a link with instructions on how to fix. (Update the BIOS). Problem is, I did just that and checked to make sure it took but I still have the same issue. FYI, before all this I gave my PC a great dusting/cleaning.

TRENDING THREADS