Question GPU going from 78-83 degree celsius while gaming. Is it okay?

Jun 24, 2019
Hi guys, so I got a gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce OC (2 Fans) GPU and when playing graphically intense games like destiny 2, bops 4, AC Odyssey, the GPU temps go from like 78 - 83 sometimes 84 as well. It does not maintain itself to any specific temps, it just keeps roaming around that temperature depending on the scene and action going on. My question is, is it okay to play games at those temps? I only play games like 2-5 hrs a day max.

My case has plenty of airflow 3 intact fans at the front. 1 intact fan at the bottom, 1 exhaust fan at the back and at the top as well. I live in a hot area where the ambient temp is like I think 35 - 37 degree but I play my games while the AC is turned on and the room temperature with AC turned on is 27-28 degrees Celsius.

Yes, those are normal temp values. Even though it's slightly higher, it is still within SAFE limits. Try to create a CUSTOM FAN profile via the MSI AB tool, if required.

According to Nvidia, the max temp value for the RTX 2060 is 88 C. Beyond this value the GPU will throttle down it's clock speeds, as a safety measure, and it will downclock.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Yes, those are normal temp values. Even though it's slightly higher, it is still within SAFE limits. Try to create a CUSTOM FAN profile via the MSI AB tool, if required.

According to Nvidia, the max temp value for the RTX 2060 is 88 C. Beyond this value the GPU will throttle down it's clock speeds, as a safety measure, and it will downclock.
Thanks. Also, one more thing. I dont really understand what max temp value means. Does it mean the max temp that this gpu can handle and after that it will be dangerous or does the gpu has a builtin throttling mechanic and will automatically throttle the card at that temp?

TRENDING THREADS