Question GPU (Gtx 1060 3GB) not working for HDMI but working for DVI

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Hey, i recently bought a gtx 1060 3gb, when i got it i put it inside my pc in the right port and everything there was one problem i didn't have a 6pin to 2x4pin pcie connector except i did have a 6 pin to 1x4pin from my previous amd sapphire r9 270x gpu,so i tried one of the pins not knowing and i tried to turn it on using a hdmi it worked but the resolution was very stretched and it was just the wrong resolution (i have a 1920x1080 monitor and a 1920x1200 monitor that will be relevant later on in the story)so i logged into my account on my pc and the gpu crashed or something the screen has weird stretched gray and black bars pretty much so i shut the pc down than i tried the other 6pin connector and this time i was able to login and it was fine except for the resolution being weird and in the display settings i couldn't change the resolution because it was grayed out, this was all done using a hdmi. than after i ordered a 6 2x4pin pcie connector and connected it the hdmi monitor didn't work but i tried to plug in the dvi cable after to my second monitor which is 1920x1200 and it worked and the resolution was set to 1920x1200 but it was still grayed out in the display settings, i downloaded and updated all the drivers to the latest and uninstalled the amd ones from my previous gpu, so now my dvi - second monitor works but my hdmi monitor doesn't work i tried the dvi on my main monitor the main monitor worked and i also tested the old gpu with the hdmi monitor it also worked, and i also can't open nvidias control panel and also have some error Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) in the device manager i'll attach some screenshots. i tried uninstalling drivers reinstalling them i tried going in the bios disabling the igpu enabling the pcie nothing is working. anyone know how to fix this. i have been googling all over the place but can't seem to find a solution that works for me. View: https://imgur.com/a/6J7loxc
View: https://imgur.com/a/Yvjy9RG

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
What is the make/model of your psu?
If a psu does not have a native 6 pin connector, it likely does not have the amperage to support one through an adapter.
hey, my psu is a 600watt psu and i have a i5 4460 but i don't think that's the problem because i just turned off my pc unplugged dvi and left the hdmi plugged in and it worked on the hdmi but it didn't work when i replugged the dvi didn't detect anything but than i had them both plugged in and i restarted the dvi only showed and hdmi wasn't detected.

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Update: after updating for the 4th time to new drivers and restarted my PC my screen has lots of the white and black stretched glitches on my monitor had yo restart twice and reset my PC once for it to auto repair. Can anyone help?

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I've been trying to fix it for 17 hours now can anyone give me any tips or anything to try.

First of all your posts are a bit hard to follow. So I hope I've got your problem understood.

You need to disconnect your second monitor first of and have only one plugged in while troubleshooting.

Have you used DDU in safemode to uninstall the drivers?
Am I correct in assuming you have used a molex to PCIe adapter for your card?

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
First of all your posts are a bit hard to follow. So I hope I've got your problem understood.

You need to disconnect your second monitor first of and have only one plugged in while troubleshooting.

I bought a 6 2x4pin connector off Amazon since I didn't see it come with my GPU and yes I tried to use ddu but not in safe mode because when I used ddu not in safe mode after I restarted my PC, my display wasn't working it showed no signal after my PC is on and after a few minutes and after I click my mouse it seems to connect but it doesn't display anything not the mouse nothing its just a black screen

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019

Okay sweet,

You can always expect a few issues installing a new graphics card. It's always a good practice to use DDU in safe mode to delete all previous drivers before installing your new card.

First thing to try - restart PC in safe mode and run DDU.

If you can't boot you need to clear the CMOS with a jumper or by removing the battery and unplugging the pc for a few minutes.

Try these suggestions and kindly report back.

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019

i also did try cmos but it didn't work.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
It would help if you keep us updated of what you have done.

Restarting the PC in safe mode and using DDU is a crucial first step, have you tried this?

A photo of the plugs going into your graphics card with the adapters in view would help also so we can get a clear idea of your configuration.

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
It would help if you keep us updated of what you have done.

Restarting the PC in safe mode and using DDU is a crucial first step, have you tried this?

A photo of the plugs going into your graphics card with the adapters in view would help also so we can get a clear idea of your configuration.
Should I take out the GPU go into the ddu using integrated GPU from my cpu and do it all in safe mode.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Should I take out the GPU go into the ddu using integrated GPU from my cpu and do it all in safe mode.

Yes very good idea. It will be good to reseat the GPU so good.
Try and follow these steps.

-Set PC to startup in safe mode
-shutdown PC
-unplug power supply and remove GPU
-plug cable into the Integrated graphics port
IF it doesn't display clear CMOS
-start PC and run DDU while in safe mode, uninstall all three manufacturers just to make sure. INTEL,AMD, NVIDIA.
-select the shutdown option in DDU when you are on the 3rd and final manufacturer.
-unplug PC and reinstall GPU
-Clear CMOS
-plug cable back into the GPU
-start PC and install the most up to date drivers for your GPU
-restart PC

Let me know how you go.

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Yes very good idea. It will be good to reseat the GPU so good.
Try and follow these steps.

-Set PC to startup in safe mode
-shutdown PC
-unplug power supply and remove GPU
-plug cable into the Integrated graphics port
IF it doesn't display clear CMOS
-start PC and run DDU while in safe mode, uninstall all three manufacturers just to make sure. INTEL,AMD, NVIDIA.
-select the shutdown option in DDU when you are on the 3rd and final manufacturer.
-unplug PC and reinstall GPU
-Clear CMOS
-plug cable back into the GPU
-start PC and install the most up to date drivers for your GPU
-restart PC

Let me know how you go.
When I uninstall all the drivers do I turn off safe mode if so do I have to go back and turn it off?

GodEater1911

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
When you say it didn't work, at what point didn't it work? You need to approach this step by step. You are very hard to understand. Slow it down man! :)
After I uninstalled all the drivers it shutdown I plugged the GPU in and that's when it didn't work I tried resetting cmos took out battery for a few mins put it back and tried again same thing.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
OK,

now before you do anything else. Unplug your reset switch from the motherboard header and plug it onto the CMOS pins.

turn ON PC and hold down reset button for 20 seconds or until pc resets again.