Question [GPU GTX 1080Ti] - [Monitor 4k 60Hz] - [DisplayPort 1.4 max 120Hz] Performance gain or not?

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
GPU = Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
Display = 4k 60Hz (max70)

This image: View: https://i.imgur.com/NNzufgJ.jpg

shows that DisplayPort 1.2 can go to a max of 75Hz with a resolution of 3840x2160 (4k)
and DisplayPort 1.4 can go to a max of 120Hz with the same resolution.

Question is, my monitor have 60Hz (max70) if i connect if with DP 1.4 will it make any diffrence from 1.2 ?
If the monitor have only 60Hz the cable wont do anything at all even if it could give more Hz the monitor doesnt support it, so my guess it will be useless or maybe it might still be more "smooth" then using the 1.2
is that possible ?
Fact is the cable is also a component, so if i use a cable with a higher bandwidth is possible to gain performance there?

For example playing CSGO with 4k 60Hz i get 300+ FPS, if i set the max FPS to 60 with console or vsync, i can CLEARLY notice the diffrence!! But this doesnt make any sense because if the monitor is only 60Hz it can only show 60FPS that is correct ? Thats what i have been reading atleast. Still as i said, 300 fps feels MUCH more smooth then 60 FPS that is fact.
So this is why im not sure if it will do noting at all using DP 1.4 instead of 1.2 or perhaps itll make it feel smoother?

Last edited:
GPU = Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
Display = 4k 60Hz (max70)

shows that DisplayPort 1.2 can go to a max of 75Hz with a resolution of 3840x2160 (4k)
and DisplayPort 1.4 can go to a max of 120Hz with the same resolution.

Question is, my monitor have 60Hz (max70) if i connect if with DP 1.4 will it make any diffrence from 1.2 ?
If the monitor have only 60Hz the cable wont do anything at all even if it could give more Hz the monitor doesnt support it, so my guess it will be useless or maybe it might still be more "smooth" then using the 1.2
is that possible ?
Fact is the cable is also a component, so if i use a cable with a higher bandwidth is possible to gain performance there?

For example playing CSGO with 4k 60Hz i get 300+ FPS, if i set the max FPS to 60 with console or vsync, i can CLEARLY notice the diffrence!! But this doesnt make any sense because if the monitor is only 60Hz it can only show 60FPS that is correct ? Thats what i have been reading atleast. Still as i said, 300 fps feels MUCH more smooth then 60 FPS that is fact.
So this is why im not sure if it will do noting at all using DP 1.4 instead of 1.2 or perhaps itll make it feel smoother?
It will have no effect.