Question GPU has suddenly begun to drop signal, as well as integrated graphics?

Sep 13, 2020
As of yesterday, it seems that my xfx RX 580 has decided to stop displaying without warning.

I'd been playing Escape From Tarkov for the first time in months when the signal to my monitor simply cut out. Initially, I was was getting display by reconnecting my DP cable to my motherboard, but I had to reseat my GPU in order to get that to display. Just minutes after relaunching Tarkov, the signal cut out again, only this time, I was unable to get any sort of video from the onboard graphics, not with DP, HDMI, or after restarting. It wasn't until I reseated my gpu that either began displaying again.

After testing further and restoring video for the fourth time (idling in the Tarkov main menu while checking temps, video still cut without warning), I thought to myself that Path of Exile, the game I'd been playing the last few weeks hadn't been giving me any issue, so I tried idling with the game open overnight to see if the same issue occurred. No issue at all. I even tried playing for an hour or so, still no issue. Idling in the Tarkov menu for over an hour this morning was fine as well, but again, after a short burst of actual gameplay, display dropped for both my GPU and motherboard.

Temperatures seem fine, I haven't made any significant changes to my system or hardware in years (outside of upgrading to this gpu 2 years ago and new fans), drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled, cmos reset, scanned for system conflicts/errors, but I'm otherwise at a loss.

Any input would be seriously appreciated!

Win 10, xfx RX 580, i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V LK, Seasonic m12 EVO 520w

Sep 13, 2020
have you tried a different display?
can be that it is failing and randomly losing signal.

based on the troubleshooting done and randomness of the issue,
i would be leaning towards either the GPU or the monitor failing.
I did try connecting it to another monitor in an attempt to regain video while my PC was still running, though it hadn't worked, and I hadn't tested it any further to see if video still dropped while using that monitor as well.

The monitor is the newest component of my setup, purchased back in December. The gpu, I actually did buy second-hand as a replacement for another failed card a year or two back, but this would be the first instance of having any major issue with it.

Definitely throwing me off that I'm not getting video from the onboard graphics when this is happening either though.

My only other thought, could it possibly be my power supply dying? Granted I haven't noticed it manifest in any other ways, but this PSU has been in use for at least 8 years by now.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
would you normally?
many times the iGPU is disabled when a dedicated GPU is connected.

Can't say I actually knew that, but there was at least one instance where it displayed when I tried switching to onboard graphics. I haven't particularly bothered with the onboard graphics much, if at all in the years since I first put together this build, up until now at least.