[SOLVED] GPU having driver/DirectX issues?

Sandywich999

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
So i just bought a used Gigabyte GTX 670 a few days ago(Been using intel HD). I can play any old games with the highest quality now, but i noticed that Bioshock, Titanfall 2, NFS Rivals, and Watch Dogs 2 just keep on crashing. There's also that "Driver has stopped responding and has restarted message" on screen. But only Bioshock and WD2 shows that, others just lock up everything.
The gpu itself is fine. I ran Unigine heaven loop at 100% core & 60c with no issues whatsoever. Furmark runs fine too. Vram allocation shouldn't be an issue too since Bioshock only uses around 500MB and it crashes while unigine at 1GB+ doesn't. Also note that games crash after random durations after started, with WD2 lasting the most at 30+min

I've finally identified that it's happening on DirextX10 or above games only. I already tried windows 7, 8, and 10 fresh installs but nothing works so far. I couldn't try Vulkan yet, but I'd really like a solution to this DX problem as i just finally upgraded from igpu and wanna play some games finally!!
I'm considering a bios flash later on, but any other suggestions??

Specs:
i5-2400
DH67CL Mobo
16Gb Ram
120Gb boot SSD
GTX 670 Windforce
Corsair VS550

Last edited:
Solution
Na I found the issue. It wasn't even directx related. The fact that games requiring higher direct x also coincidentally were heavier was the key. My vram was overheating and ever since I propped some heatsinks and a fan on them, games are looking stable. It doesn't leave me any room for overclocks but I'm grateful it at least works.

PS: I did flash a bios from techpowerup but nothing changed

EDIT: Turns out it also had degraded VRM, so I need to limit the power limit to 71% in Afterburner for it to run without crashes. Tops around 875Mhz, not too bad.

Sandywich999

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Na I found the issue. It wasn't even directx related. The fact that games requiring higher direct x also coincidentally were heavier was the key. My vram was overheating and ever since I propped some heatsinks and a fan on them, games are looking stable. It doesn't leave me any room for overclocks but I'm grateful it at least works.

PS: I did flash a bios from techpowerup but nothing changed

EDIT: Turns out it also had degraded VRM, so I need to limit the power limit to 71% in Afterburner for it to run without crashes. Tops around 875Mhz, not too bad.

Last edited:
Solution