[SOLVED] GPU heatsink mod for LOUD BLOWER GTX970

Jul 18, 2020
Hi, I am just wondering if there is a way for me to mod my gtx 970 (palit oem blower) to get some good temps while still being quiet? I have been looking for aftermarket coolers but they just aren't available in the UK anymore. Could I possibly use a cpu cooler for my gtx 970 as, the stock heatsink is tiny.

Solution
Plenty of ways. Strapping a CPU heatsink isn't the simplest due to the differing hole spacings between common CPU coolers and GPUs. Certainly possible. Might look into modding a Noctua NH-L12S, be quiet! Shadow Rock LP, or Scythe Shuriken on there.

Kraken G12 and Asetek style AIO? Designed for GPU cooling, and certainly compatible with reference GTX970.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-KRAKE...d=1&keywords=kraken+g12&qid=1623268878&sr=8-1

Just add AIO. Kraken models: Z63/Z73/X53/X63/X73/X42/X52/X62/72 but any pump with the round locking ring will work.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to track down some GTX970 full coverage water blocks on the used market either.

Simplest mod...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Plenty of ways. Strapping a CPU heatsink isn't the simplest due to the differing hole spacings between common CPU coolers and GPUs. Certainly possible. Might look into modding a Noctua NH-L12S, be quiet! Shadow Rock LP, or Scythe Shuriken on there.

Kraken G12 and Asetek style AIO? Designed for GPU cooling, and certainly compatible with reference GTX970.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-KRAKE...d=1&keywords=kraken+g12&qid=1623268878&sr=8-1

Just add AIO. Kraken models: Z63/Z73/X53/X63/X73/X42/X52/X62/72 but any pump with the round locking ring will work.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to track down some GTX970 full coverage water blocks on the used market either.

Simplest mod I have seen for blower coolers is to remove the blower and strap a high static pressure 120mm fan blowing into the shroud. Looks terrible, but works okay.

Solution
The only non-watercooled cooler I can think of that would fit is the
ARCTIC COOLING
ACCELERO XTREME III

What you could do that would be cheaper is check ebay, etc for a used cooler with the same bolt pattern, but a better cooling solution. Another solution that might be cheap would be better case airflow. If your case has poor airflow a $50 case and $30 worth of fans might make a bigger difference than any non-watercooled option would if your airflow is bad right now.

TRENDING THREADS