Question GPU heavily underperforming and I don't know why...

Sep 11, 2022
Hi! First of all, I must say that I am very mediocre, so apologies in advance, for what is probably a stupid question

I am running a ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X with Ryzen 5800x3d, my bios is updated, my mobo is MSI x570, so it supports everything that I need. I have 16GB of 3200 RAM, I have 850W PSU. However, I feel like my GPU is not running at it's full potential... I did a benchmark just now and results were a bit underwhelming...

While my CPU was in 87th percentile, my GPU was in awful 6th percentile - see here

Basically, what I want to know is what I could be doing wrong? Is my GPU defective? Isn't it supposed to be already OC'd (because it's OC edition). I have so many questions... Please help

Sep 10, 2022
percentile is useless. compare the avg bench %
post the link to the result.

Dude, it is 6 percentile it is obviously underperform. I mean if it is 30-50 percentile, it is expected, if not overclocked, but 6 percentile is wrong configuration, faulty, or whatever, it's just wrong.

How do I compare that, could you please help me?

Could you try tunning timespy? Post your results here, screenshot, where you are among similar system configuration. Also, compare your result with the rest,

Search (3dmark.com)

Above you can see those running 1900mhz core GPU clock, tend to score somewhere around 20,000 mark for the graphic test result.

If you are not within that range, or say even below 19k, there should be something need to be done, you have a premium card it should score much above that.

So, to begin with,

are you 100% sure the PCIE configuration on BIOS set up correctly?

I don't know how to do it on your BIOS as I use ASUS Strix, but there must be setting where you can configure your PCIe Lanes, gen 1 2 3 4, in this case, you wanna try manually setting up yuour PCIe x16 to Gen 4, instead of auto.

Also, make sure that it runs x16 not 8x8, this is most likely configuration issue.

Sep 10, 2022
Hi! First of all, I must say that I am very mediocre, so apologies in advance, for what is probably a stupid question

I am running a ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X with Ryzen 5800x3d, my bios is updated, my mobo is MSI x570, so it supports everything that I need. I have 16GB of 3200 RAM, I have 850W PSU. However, I feel like my GPU is not running at it's full potential... I did a benchmark just now and results were a bit underwhelming...

While my CPU was in 87th percentile, my GPU was in awful 6th percentile - see here

Basically, what I want to know is what I could be doing wrong? Is my GPU defective? Isn't it supposed to be already OC'd (because it's OC edition). I have so many questions... Please help

OC edition means it should be running above "basic cards" in term of base clock gaming clock and boost clock, you will however, be able to OC this card yourself, but seeing from your enquiries, I don't suggest you to mess around first before at least making sure everything runs properly, a 6 percentile on userbenchmark is crap crap, even if that benchmarking tool itself is not the best for GPU, but you should expect getting within 30-50% if run stock, no manual tweaking.

Sep 11, 2022
Dude, it is 6 percentile it is obviously underperform. I mean if it is 30-50 percentile, it is expected, if not overclocked, but 6 percentile is wrong configuration, faulty, or whatever, it's just wrong.

Could you try tunning timespy? Post your results here, screenshot, where you are among similar system configuration. Also, compare your result with the rest,

Search (3dmark.com)

Above you can see those running 1900mhz core GPU clock, tend to score somewhere around 20,000 mark for the graphic test result.

If you are not within that range, or say even below 19k, there should be something need to be done, you have a premium card it should score much above that.

So, to begin with,

are you 100% sure the PCIE configuration on BIOS set up correctly?

I don't know how to do it on your BIOS as I use ASUS Strix, but there must be setting where you can configure your PCIe Lanes, gen 1 2 3 4, in this case, you wanna try manually setting up yuour PCIe x16 to Gen 4, instead of auto.

Also, make sure that it runs x16 not 8x8, this is most likely configuration issue.

Hi. Thank you a lot for the response. Is there any other benchmark I can run? It seems like I need to buy 3DMark on steam for £ 22.99 in order to run timespy. It says that DLC is part of 3DMark and tells me to go buy it :(

Sep 10, 2022
Hi. Thank you a lot for the response. Is there any other benchmark I can run? It seems like I need to buy 3DMark on steam for £ 22.99 in order to run timespy. It says that DLC is part of 3DMark and tells me to go buy it :(

Timespy is free, just install ‘DEMO’ version. Timespy extreme needs you to pay, and they kinda worth it because you’ll keep them forever and basically you don’t have to watch that long DEMO.

It is really a good app to know where your system stands, but if not willing to pay, just get DEMO version, it will allow you to run timespy

go to steam, search for DEMO TIMESPY

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022
Timespy is free, just install ‘DEMO’ version. Timespy extreme needs you to pay, and they kinda worth it because you’ll keep them forever and basically you don’t have to watch that long DEMO.

It is really a good app to know where your system stands, but if not willing to pay, just get DEMO version, it will allow you to run timespy

go to steam, search for DEMO TIMESPY
I ran it and here's what I got...
jY3u4TR.png

OA37K6u.png

hJIM6FU.png

I honestly have no idea how it's possible to get 800 BELOW AVERAGE with 5800x3d and 2080ti...

Sep 10, 2022

I honestly have no idea how it's possible to get 800 BELOW AVERAGE with 5800x3d and 2080ti...

So, your gpu utilisation is alright, your gpu running at expected clock speed may be lower than what it should,

i dont have 3080ti, but if I were you, I’d check if that GPU gets the power it needs to run properly, by saying this, your PSU may actually fail to supply enough power for the GPU, or like I said, have you checked your PCIe Lane configuration if it is set at Gen 4? Most of the time Auto will run just alright but for example, my drive runs at gen2 configuration if I set the pcie m2_1 to Auto. So the performance is low, I change the configuration to Gen3, boom, my drive runs so much faster.

Your peak GPU clock there was 1965mhz, which is good I think? But the fact that your GPU clock averaging basically 1800mhz, means something, hence your graphic score is so low it doesn’t even pass 20,000 graphic score points, which should be expected for Rog Strix OC 3080ti.

Try do some research and go to your bios, try to search for that PCIe X16, see if the configuration is gen4, make sure it is set to gen4, and make sure it is also set at x16, not x8.

it is 100% clear, your gpu is underperforming

Sep 11, 2022
So, your gpu utilisation is alright, your gpu running at expected clock speed may be lower than what it should,

i dont have 3080ti, but if I were you, I’d check if that GPU gets the power it needs to run properly, by saying this, your PSU may actually fail to supply enough power for the GPU, or like I said, have you checked your PCIe Lane configuration if it is set at Gen 4? Most of the time Auto will run just alright but for example, my drive runs at gen2 configuration if I set the pcie m2_1 to Auto. So the performance is low, I change the configuration to Gen3, boom, my drive runs so much faster.

Your peak GPU clock there was 1965mhz, which is good I think? But the fact that your GPU clock averaging basically 1800mhz, means something, hence your graphic score is so low it doesn’t even pass 20,000 graphic score points, which should be expected for Rog Strix OC 3080ti.

Try do some research and go to your bios, try to search for that PCIe X16, see if the configuration is gen4, make sure it is set to gen4, and make sure it is also set at x16, not x8.

it is 100% clear, your gpu is underperforming
Could it perhaps be because I haven't overclocked it? Or it's still should be higher. Regarding power supply to GPU, it has to be setting right? No way 2021 Corsair PSU with 850W isn't enough?

Sep 10, 2022
jY3u4TR.png

OA37K6u.png

hJIM6FU.png

If everything checked, it pcie x16 gen 4, running at x16 instead of x8, I’ll start suspecting power supply to that GPU. Even though your gpu utilisation is 100% or at least close to 100%, it is clear that the gpu couldn't reach sustainable frequency. Which is something you really need to work out for.

Make sure every set up done properly, if they are, and it’s still like this, without needing to know your exact PSU, honestly even great PSU can messed things up, you may just wanna try new PSU.

if you live near reliable pc shop, they will have the benchmark tool, app, even big psu to try on troubleshooting your problem, in 10 minutes the right person with the right equipment will solve this issue, yes it may cost ya something, but time and headache saved.

Why I said that? Because imagine you buy new PSU, turned out it works just the same, waste of money. Paying someone $20-30 to troubleshoot, find the right solution, help yourself learn something new faster, and enjoy your max pc performance earlier

Sep 11, 2022
If everything checked, it pcie x16 gen 4, running at x16 instead of x8, I’ll start suspecting power supply to that GPU. Even though your gpu utilisation is 100% or at least close to 100%, it is clear that the gpu couldn't reach sustainable frequency. Which is something you really need to work out for.

Make sure every set up done properly, if they are, and it’s still like this, without needing to know your exact PSU, honestly even great PSU can messed things up, you may just wanna try new PSU.

if you live near reliable pc shop, they will have the benchmark tool, app, even big psu to try on troubleshooting your problem, in 10 minutes the right person with the right equipment will solve this issue, yes it may cost ya something, but time and headache saved.

Why I said that? Because imagine you buy new PSU, turned out it works just the same, waste of money. Paying someone $20-30 to troubleshoot, find the right solution, help yourself learn something new faster, and enjoy your max pc performance earlier
All settings that you mentioned above, it's all bios settings?

Sep 10, 2022
Could it perhaps be because I haven't overclocked it? Or it's still should be higher. Regarding power supply to GPU, it has to be setting right? No way 2021 Corsair PSU with 850W isn't enough?

I just recently return RM850 Corsair within 12 hours of purchase because it made loud coilwhine lol, a friend returned a brand new Mercedes a couple years ago because it was ‘lemon car’ haha. Things and possibilities are always there dor things to be faulty

however, you should check all the pcie setting and so on. In term of overclocking, yes, it could be that too, but in my opinion, a stock setting of that GPU could simply score 19.5-20.5k on Timespy graphic test

Sep 10, 2022
All settings that you mentioned above, it's all bios settings?

Yes, just go to BIOS, they should be under your configurstion setting and pcie blahblahblah. Just slowly go through it, you will find them. Always set on AUTO by default, so who knows your mobo messed up and it doesn’t run gen4 , or it doesn’t run x16 speed 😂 I’m not telling you this could be the case but we are pin pointing problems.

Sep 11, 2022
Yes, just go to BIOS, they should be under your configurstion setting and pcie blahblahblah. Just slowly go through it, you will find them. Always set on AUTO by default, so who knows your mobo messed up and it doesn’t run gen4 , or it doesn’t run x16 speed 😂 I’m not telling you this could be the case but we are pin pointing problems.
It's getting late here in the UK, so I will try it first thing in the morning. Thanks a lot man, I felt that GPU is underperforming a bit and I am glad you could point me where to look

Sep 10, 2022
About Power, you can run Heaven benchmark, Superposisition, windowed, with HWinfo open, to see if the GPU draws the power as advertised. I think it should be 350w ASIC POWER, look if it reaches that point and could stay st that point while running benchmark. If it does, PSU, cable, are good

Sep 11, 2022
About Power, you can run Heaven benchmark, Superposisition, windowed, with HWinfo open, to see if the GPU draws the power as advertised
And what should I see? What's the advertised power there?
Also, I just had an idea, is there any chance that my 16GB of RAM could be bottlenecking things? It's XMP enabled, so definitely running at 3200 DDR 4

Sep 10, 2022
And what should I see? What's the advertised power there?
Also, I just had an idea, is there any chance that my 16GB of RAM could be bottlenecking things? It's XMP enabled, so definitely running at 3200 DDR 4

nope, your Ram shouldn’t be cause of this kind of issue. The power advertised said to be 350w, with that logic, if you run windowed benchmark even timespy but you can’t, need to pay to do that, so stick to heaven / superposition, or even any heavy games you can run… see, does the ASIC or GPU POWER reach and can sustainably stay at 330-350w? Myself don’t know what mentioned by NVIDIA, if it is just gpu power or the entire package power.

again, a picture may help.
But first look at those things in BIOS that I kept mentioning.

Reactions: Gondawn