[SOLVED] GPU help for a first timer

Aug 16, 2019
Hi,

I'm building my first PC after being a Mac user for 10 years due to needing a faster system at a better price.

My biggest issue just now is figuring out what kind of GPU I should get to suit my needs. The system will be for home but also for my photography business. I'll be mainly using it for Lightroom (heavy use, multiple RAW files), Premier Pro (light use) and 4K HDR streams through Plex. I'll also use graphics software occasionally.

I know this is something I could go totally overkill on and I'd rather not, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy, UK

Eximo

Titan
Herald
With no other part selection or a budget, not sure what advice you are expecting.

It is easy to go overboard, but what that means is entirely up to you. And cheaper than a Mac is a broad price range depending on which model you are talking about.

Are you planning to use Windows, Mac OS, or Linux? AMD graphics cards tend to work better with Mac OS and Linux. Nvidia doesn't do anything with Apple (I should add it seems Mac OS has dropped support for new Nvidia cards completely), and has somewhat poor driver support in Linux.

Eximo

Titan
Herald
With no other part selection or a budget, not sure what advice you are expecting.

It is easy to go overboard, but what that means is entirely up to you. And cheaper than a Mac is a broad price range depending on which model you are talking about.

Are you planning to use Windows, Mac OS, or Linux? AMD graphics cards tend to work better with Mac OS and Linux. Nvidia doesn't do anything with Apple (I should add it seems Mac OS has dropped support for new Nvidia cards completely), and has somewhat poor driver support in Linux.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS