Question gpu help

Jul 21, 2022
hi, i have a amd r9 270x with a 850w psu but i only have one 6+2 pin would i be able to add a 2 6+2 pin adapter and power the 270x?

Never heard of this "Replace Power" PSU brand. Looks like a low-end generic PSU. Or, a cheaply-made low-tier dangerous power supply. Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong.

But anyways, I won't recommend using this PSU model, since it only has 1 x 6+2 Pin PCI-e cable. If your GPU requires 2 6-PIN cables, then most likely you need to change and replace this PSU. Grab a HIGH quality PSU from a reputed brand.

Jul 21, 2022
heres what i found. and would the r9 270 work with this psu as it only requires the 16x pcie the the one 6 pin. i mean im new i got a good deal on a older pc i guess it rungs games decent but my current gpu only has 1gb of vram so im at a disadvantage.

heres what i found. and would the r9 270 work with this psu as it only requires the 16x pcie the the one 6 pin. i mean im new i got a good deal on a older pc i guess it rungs games decent but my current gpu only has 1gb of vram so im at a disadvantage.

Seems you only need one 6 pin power connector to run it. The PSU you have is not really good but should be OK to run that card. One funny thing, the sales listing has: " Imported from USA." but if you look at the label it states made in China LOL So it's made in china, sold in US then imported from there?

From the label at least it has a strong 12 v rail if they are not lying about the output, but it's a lower tier PSU.

Jul 21, 2022
THANLS for the answers i decided to get a new psu and it works like a dream. there is a little bit more to it to get a pc to play higher end games. it makes you feel like you accomplished something.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Jul 21, 2022
thanks for the reply. umm I went to tech castle and bought a thermaltake smart series 500w. it works perfectly i believe. id like to upgrade my processor. this website is actually what turned me on to the r9 270x but i was told it was a 2gb v ram gpu. in my system info though it says there is 4gb of vram. is it possible they made a mistake or is there something i dont know honestly?.

Jul 21, 2022
my motherboard is a gigibyte ga-78lmt- s2p and my processor is a amd 4100 3.7ghz and toms hardware is what i found that said the r9 270x would go good with my processor but lol. Is this older parts and to get one that can run more modern games should i upgrade all of it? or would a new processor work?.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm glad you got it running. The Thermaltake SMART is not very good PSU and one you'd have to swap out for major upgrades, but that original PSU was absolutely frightening.

Your hardware fits together well, it's a suitable GPU for a PC of this age. But yes, you would need a major upgrade to get modern performance; you basically have a budget gaming PC from a decade ago, so there are some real limitations to take into account. And that major upgrade would basically be everything at this point since, again, it's a PC full of 2012-2013 parts.

If you're happy with your machine, just enjoy it!

Jul 21, 2022
well thanks for the info i kinda figured it was older and around that period of gaming it will play some new games but ive been caught in that generation of gaming anyway but again thank you very much for the info.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
whats a good nm 32 am3 amd processor for my sysytem.

You would be limited to only 95W AM3+ CPUs, meaning there's no reason to go above an FX 6300 or FX 8300 (not 8320 or 8350). 125W AM3+ CPUs have an awful track history with budget AM3+ motherboards; we had a rash of motherboards like this, including this exact motherboard, getting sent to the afterlife by 125W CPUs from about 2013-2017 or so.

But when it comes down to it, you're not likely to get much more performance by putting in a new CPU; there's no CPU on this platform that is suited to modern AAA gaming. So again, enjoy what you have and if you have money to put into this PC, instead put it aside for a completely new build down the road.