Question GPU high Core/Low Memory temps?

Apr 17, 2022
Hi everyone, I’ve got a few GPU’ (Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC) that Overtime started to run hot so I changed the paste and pads. The memory temps dropped but the core temps are pretty high. Initially, I thought maybe I didn’t apply enough paste or cover enough area so reopened the car and applied a little more but unfortunately the temps are still high. When I put the card back together I tightened the screws just so they were snug but didn’t make them super tight. I’m kinda lost on ideas if anyone has any insight?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Current pads too thick, or don't have enough give to them, and the cold plate doesn't contact as snugly with the die as it once did.

What paste? It may be getting pumped out.

Airflow situation?

What kind of temperatures are being discussed here:
-gpu core
-gpu hot spot
-Vram

Apr 17, 2022
Current pads too thick, or don't have enough give to them, and the cold plate doesn't contact as snugly with the die as it once did.

Airflow situation?

-gpu core
-gpu hot spot
-Vram

It currently has t Noctua NT-H2 and previously I tried Arctic Silver 5 but got the same results. My current temps are 64 Core and 81 memory. I’m sorry but I don’t really know what a GPU hit spot is but I’m trying to keep the core below 65 and the memory below 105. I’m also currently using 2mm Gelid Extreme pads 15w on the memory front/backplate (plus a 3mm on the backplate like stock) and basically 1mm every where else like the stock pads.
Thank you for your help.

Airflow situation?

-gpu core
-gpu hot spot
-Vram
It currently has t Noctua NT-H2 and previously I tried Arctic Silver 5 but got the same results. My current temps are 64 Core and 81 memory. I’m sorry but I don’t really know what a GPU hit spot is but I’m trying to keep the core below 65 and the memory below 105. I’m also currently using 2mm Gelid Extreme pads 15w on the memory front/backplate (plus a 3mm on the backplate like stock) and basically 1mm every where else like the stock pads.
Thank you for your help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My current temps are 64 Core and 81 memory.
That's really good!

"I’m sorry but I don’t really know what a GPU hot spot is..."
Hottest sensor on the gpu die. Hwinfo can tell you what that is running at.

"I’m trying to keep the core below 65 and the memory below 105."
The memory one is understandable(GDDR6X limit is 105C), but the core one isn't. Why that low? The core is fine even at 80C, and the thermal limit isn't until 91C.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
Keeping the GPU below 65°C is completely unnecessary, there is nothing even remotely high. Besides, the 3090 is a very powerful monster and naturally produces a lot of heat as a result, you would have to go water cooling to get lower temps. Your temps are good, stop meddling with the card now before you break something.