Nov 10, 2022
Hello,

I have a Dell GTX 1660 Ti OEM that used to idle at 30C to 40C, but now on every boot, the temps always climb to 70C.

Cleaned the whole system, made sure to turn off overclock features in BIOS, as well as turning off the OC features in the Alienware Command Center.

Got to the point of re-installing the Graphics driver through the geforce application, as soon as the fresh clean install would load up, temps would go back to 30C idle.

When I would restart to make sure everything is good, the temps are back up to 70C.

I look at my task manager and see nothing causing it to pull so much power and be running at such a high MHz that only would be present when playing games.

With the ACC, I can see that something is making the card pull more power, thus cause it to heat up more than it needs to when being at idle.

Have also tried to enable NCP 3D Settings and set the "Power management mode" to Optimal Power, which is the default option, restart after applying changes and still same temp issues.

The only other thing I could think of was that this pre-built came with both the CPU and GPU overclocked, so perhaps its something not letting it go back to its regular idle temp, maybe the overclock done to the card is somehow bypassing being disabled in the BIOS.

But then it wouldn't make sense for any game to run poorly if this were to be true.

Before this issue arose, I had the default overclock that came with Pre Built, no issues at that time, always monitoring gpu and cpu temps.

Games ran fine, COD MW 2019, Overwatch 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Apex Legends all at 60 fps with moderate settings, on an Ultrawide 3440 x 1440p 120hz monitor.

With this temp issue, game stutters, massive screen tearing, 10 fps, even some pc crashes.

I thought the intital problem was the dust, but now I'm stuck on what's causing the power consumption be so high, raising the idle temps, what do you think it could be?

I would very greatly appreciate the help with this issue.

Many thanks for reading :)

SPECS:
Alienware Aurora R9
i7-9700k CPU @3.60 GHz (4.5 GHz OC)
32 GB RAM AT 2133 MHz
Dell GTX 1660 Ti OEM 1500 MHz (1770 MHz OC)
Alienware AIO Cooler
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB SSD

Only modifications done were switched from HDD to SSD and got two additional ram sticks to total out to 32 gb of ram

edit: when latest nvidia driver is downloaded (clean install), temp goes to 30C, I boot up any of the games I listed and play them perfectly, no fps drop, temps at 70C to 74C in all games, but as soon as I restart, issues come back, games unplayable.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022
Hello,

I have a weird bug that has my GPU be at 80% power usage causing the idle temps to be at 70C.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/159/MqrJ9A.jpg

I do a clean install of my graphics driver, and temp issue is fixed, until I restart and gpu is at 70C again. I have also found when I disable and enable it back on Device Manager, temps go back to normal, until restart. Overclock is also turned off, but I always had it on before this issue arose.

What could be causing this?

SPECS:
Alienware Aurora R9
i7-9700k CPU @3.60 GHz (4.5 GHz OC)
32 GB RAM AT 2133 MHz
Dell GTX 1660 Ti OEM 1500 MHz (1770 MHz OC)
Alienware AIO Cooler
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB SSD

Many thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022
Use HWinfo64 and check your clocks, load and voltage of the gpu when idle. Since all those pre-builds are usually full of useless software, i wouldn't be surprised if a dell monitoring is causing all this.
Thank you so much, I will check this when I get the chance, and yea it was my mistake to buy a pre-built in the first place, let alone a Dell pre-built haha.

Only had this for around 2 years, and in the past I already had to send it back for them to replace the motherboard. So yea we'll see, thanks again!

AreH

Distinguished
Hi Danny,

Do not know would it be of any help but from my experience problems I had with GPUs (fun speed, idle temp, etc) were always been caused by drivers. So try to install different ones, including older iterations and check the GPU behaviour.

Best luck.

Got to the point of re-installing the Graphics driver through the geforce application, as soon as the fresh clean install would load up, temps would go back to 30C idle.

When I would restart to make sure everything is good, the temps are back up to 70C.

(...)

With this temp issue, game stutters, massive screen tearing, 10 fps, even some pc crashes.

Check if the fan on the card is running properly. Almost sounds like after a restart it doesn't spin up as it should. Low performance also suggests the card is getting hot and throttles itself to avoid damage from getting too hot.
Could be an issue with the card or driver itself or with any software like Afterburner (or whatever Dell delivers) that can control fan curves.