Question GPU hits 0% in league of legends

Jun 17, 2022
Hi all,

Lately my gpu has randomly been hitting 100% usage in league of legends and by no means should it be a bottleneck or too low end of specs because I have a Ryzen 9 3900x and a RTX 3070 ti. And was makes this even worse is that league of legends is the only game it does this to. Apex Legends, Call of Duty, and Valorant is fine, however whenever I play League it will freeze a minimum of 1 time and be fine the rest of the game however it would more than likely freeze again the next game I'd queue for. I've tried using Riot's repair tool and tried doing a fresh reinstall of the game but the issue still persists.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to see what is happening when the spikes occur. Use both tools but only one at at time.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may also prove helpful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer: either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or an informational event at the time(s) of the spikes and freezes.

Reactions: itsninjabunny
Jun 17, 2022
OS- Windows 10 pro
CPU - Ryzen 9 3900x
cpu cooler - lian li 240 galihad
GPU - Rtx 3070ti zotac trinity
PSU - Cooler Master V850 sfx psu gold modular
RAM - 16 gb of 3600 thermaltake tough ram
storage 1tb wd black m.2, 1tb samsung 960 evo

When I look at the performance of the gpu it will just fluctuate in the 30% range and then randomly spike to 100%. After League freezes it will go back to that 30% range.

note - I had another gpu prior to the 3070ti and it would do the same thing but only in league. So I was thinking it either has to do with the cpu now or ram possibly. I have also tried underclocking my gpu 50 and 100 less than it's original clock speed as well.

Ralston18

Titan
Any error codes, warnings, or informational events when League freezes or the GPU hits 100% ?

How old is that V850 PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining.? May be starting to falter and fail at times of peak power demand.

What all else is running in the background? Maybe some app or utility that you have been using independent of the GPUs.

Disable any recognizable processes that you do not need to necessarily run all of the time. Google any unrecognized processes and determine if they can likewise be disabled.

Determine if the spikes/freezes continue. If not then start adding back necessary background processes one at a time allowing time between each add back.

Objective being to discover if one particular process is causing or creating a conflict.