[SOLVED] GPU Hotspot reaching 105C after changing thermal pads and paste

Sep 23, 2021
So I just bought a 3080 (Gaming X trio) couple weeks ago I mostly got it for mining and gaming, I decided to changed thermal pads for the vram(1mm 12.8 W/mK) because it would reach easily 105c also changed thermal paste(TF8)

The vram temperatures are sitting around 80-86 now when mining but the gpu hotspot reaches up to 105, I am very concerned I will fry the gpu what could be the problem?

I could really use some help.

Solution
The problem could very well be the pads.
1)There is no universal standard testing conditions for these products, so buying on specs alone can lead to varying experiences.

2)Pads not only have different thickness, but texture too(soft, medium, firm, extra firm).
So even if you get the same size pads as the original, when you go to mount the cooler, the pads may have too much give, or not enough - either way, it'll lead to worse thermals.

"1mm 12.8 W/mK" means jack-all.
It's best if you ask around - if you haven't already. Maybe someone here, or on another tech site, has changed the pads on this exact model to great success, and they can tell you the exact ones they used to do it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)There is no universal standard testing conditions for these products, so buying on specs alone can lead to varying experiences.

2)Pads not only have different thickness, but texture too(soft, medium, firm, extra firm).
So even if you get the same size pads as the original, when you go to mount the cooler, the pads may have too much give, or not enough - either way, it'll lead to worse thermals.

It's best if you ask around - if you haven't already. Maybe someone here, or on another tech site, has changed the pads on this exact model to great success, and they can tell you the exact ones they used to do it.

Solution
Sep 23, 2021

I have seen other people do it on YouTube that's why thermal pads itself didn't seem to be a problem

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How? I found out how much of a pain changing thermal pads can be from reading around.
Try TechPowerUp, overclock.net, Msi forums, reddit... someone, somewhere, has changed the pads on this gpu and succeeded. You just need to know what exactly they used.
Maybe someone here has done it, but traffic here isn't what it used to be, it feels like.