GPU hotter than normal and clock speed and voltage keep cycling up and down.

Feb 6, 2019
Looking for some help.

Recently my R9 390 is much hotter than normal, idling at 70C when no fans are on with voltage and clock speeds going a little haywire. At idle the voltage keeps cycling between 1062 mV and 1226 mV at about 10 second intervals with clock speeds cycling between 300 MHz and 1050 MHz accordling. This is causing the temperature to cycle as well between about 70C and 76C. Memory clock stays maxed out at 6400 MHz as well with a constant 1075 mV voltage. I'm not sure if this means anything.

I'm not sure what would have caused this. I have a fairly new PSU (850W) and I ran Malwarebytes and found nothing. I did transport my pc recently, but didn't drop it or anything.

Any thoughts?

Download 'Process Explorer' and see if any process is using GPU extensively

Do you have any software for GPU controll/overclock?

I suggest to quickly reinstall the driver with all AMD software: remove the driver cleanly with 'Display Driver Uninstaller', then you can download a fresh copy from adm and install

Feb 6, 2019

I appreciate the input. I do use GPU Tweak II to control it. I looked through Process Explorer and not much was using it. I reinstalled the drivers and it looks like there has been some benefit as my voltage/clock aren't going haywire as much now, but temps do remain high.

Also, I should have mentioned this before, I have 2 monitors a 1440x3440 and a 1080x1920. When I turn off my 1080 monitor I do see memory clock speeds come down and idle temps come down from around 70C to 54C. However ,this still seems very high. Idle temps with both monitors on for me used to be in the 40s.

TRENDING THREADS