Question GPU idle temp is 50 celsius. Why?

Mar 1, 2022
So a month ago I bought a new MSI laptop (i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, RTX 3060) with an idle temperature of 30-35 degrees Celsius so far. But a few days ago it went up to 50 degrees Celsius. Under load there is no problem with it but it is a bit frustrating that its idle temperature has jumped 15 degrees Celsius for no reason.

What could be the problem?

Could be for a variety of reasons, like software configuration or if you added an external monitor. A month is a long for things to happen. But to start you could see if something's using the 3060 through Task Manager.

Though another note is if the GPU turned off to save power, all of its sensor data gets frozen.

Ralston18

Titan
Any new software (games, applications, utilities, etc.) recently added?

Any known updates of any sort?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what all is being run on the laptop. Look for something you do not expect to see running or do not recognize.

Use Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to see what processes are being run.

FYI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Try to discover what may be running in the background and raising the idle temperatures.

Worth a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer as well. Look for some entry or entries that began a "few days ago".

Mar 1, 2022
Any new software (games, applications, utilities, etc.) recently added?

Any known updates of any sort?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what all is being run on the laptop. Look for something you do not expect to see running or do not recognize.

Use Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to see what processes are being run.

FYI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Try to discover what may be running in the background and raising the idle temperatures.

Worth a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer as well. Look for some entry or entries that began a "few days ago".
I bought some games in the last few days. Could it be because of it?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

If temperatures remain as they have been in the past when you are not playing games and then increase when/while playing the games it seems reasonable that the games are the cause.

What games?

Where did you get the games?

What are the recommended hardware specs for those games?

Mar 1, 2022
Yes.

If temperatures remain as they have been in the past when you are not playing games and then increase when/while playing the games it seems reasonable that the games are the cause.

What games?

Where did you get the games?

What are the recommended hardware specs for those games?
Nothing fancy. I bought Far Cry 5, Maneater and Battlefield 1 keys from Instant-Gaming(grey market) that I activated in Origin, Steam and Ubisoft Connect.

When I play it has a higher temperature which doesn't bother me because it's normal (max 70-75 degrees Celsius). and 50 degrees Celsius is the idle temperature that occurs almost immediately after system startup and was previously 30-35 degrees Celsius.