[SOLVED] gpu idling at 55c?

Nov 25, 2020
So i have a EVGA RTX 2060 SC ULTRA 2 fan
i have built this pc no longer than a month ago i have great cooling in my corsair spec delta case. (5 intake 1 exhaust)

(i7 9700k) idle at 25-30c
(rtx 2060) 50-58c idle 60-75c underload.

GPU CLOCKS IDLE 1365mhz, 7001mhz, 1275mhz (THEY BOOST ALMOST DOUBLE WHEN GAMING)

using a single 1080p 144hz monitor.
* in NVidia control panel i have set to prefer maximum performance but no difference between the different modes
*wpengine using 10% gpu but testing with it off didn't change anything at all

is this normal? I don't want to have my card breaking on me.
*no overclock is done yet. but my gpu seems to oc itself, (when paying games the clocks boost a ton)

*it runs with 0RPM and occasionally spikes to 750 rpm when doing things like watching netflix (when gaming it goes up to 2250-2750 RPM)

Last edited:
Solution
As you said, the fans shut off when at idle (likely when temperatures drop below 60C), because those temperatures should be low enough to not be a concern. That allows the cooler to be silent when additional cooling isn't required, and I wouldn't expect the temperatures to get much lower than that without its fans running.

I agree that having 5 intake fans but only 1 exhaust for the case seems a little off though. Assuming the fans are of roughly similar size, the airflow is likely to be impeded by all the air needing to exit through that one exhaust vent. Ideally, you should have a similar amount of intake and exhaust fans. For example, having three intakes in the front, 1 exhaust in the rear, and two other exhausts on top.
As you said, the fans shut off when at idle (likely when temperatures drop below 60C), because those temperatures should be low enough to not be a concern. That allows the cooler to be silent when additional cooling isn't required, and I wouldn't expect the temperatures to get much lower than that without its fans running.

I agree that having 5 intake fans but only 1 exhaust for the case seems a little off though. Assuming the fans are of roughly similar size, the airflow is likely to be impeded by all the air needing to exit through that one exhaust vent. Ideally, you should have a similar amount of intake and exhaust fans. For example, having three intakes in the front, 1 exhaust in the rear, and two other exhausts on top.

Solution
Nov 25, 2020
sorry i didnt specify correctlt i have 1 exaust in the back 2 top that are set as intake for the aio coolermaster ml240l and 3 intake at the top
my card isnt defective or will break?
also will configuring fans change temps

I think MSI Afterburner will work with your GPU. If you download and install it, you can create a custom fan profile for your GPU. Click on the "Settings" to bring up the settings, then select the "Fan" tab. From there, you can create your fan profile. Google it. I'm sure there are plenty of videos that will show you exactly how to do this.

sorry i didnt specify correctlt i have 1 exaust in the back 2 top that are set as intake for the aio coolermaster ml240l and 3 intake at the top
my card isnt defective or will break?
also will configuring fans change temps

Yes, reconfiguring your fans will probably affect your temperatures. Front/ bottom fans should be set as intake and rear/ top fans should be set as exhaust.

Hot air wants to travel upwards; by forcing it down, you are creating a situation for poor airflow in your PC. Exhaust air upward out of the top of your tower through your AIO.

TRENDING THREADS