GPU Idling at 88C~

hydriss

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
As mentioned in the title my GPU seems to be having a major meltdown. It seems to be idling at 88C~ when i'm just on the desktop or on the web (like writing this now), occasionally it drops to 60 or so but so far nothing.

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460v2
intel core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz

Before everyone suggests the same thing I have already done the following:

• Scanned for viruses/malware etc.
    Dusted the fans, filters entire case etc.
    I have even moved the location of the case to a better ventilated area.
    I have multiple fans running all of which are working correctly.
    I have taken the unit to a local PC store where they replaced the thermal paste on the gpu.

As you can probably understand i'm completely lost, I have tried everything, even checking that the software I use to monitor temperatures (MSI Afterburner) is telling me the incorrect numbers.

Could it be the actual device displaying the incorrect temperature?

PLEASE HELP :(

Edit: it's now idling at around 98-100C~

Some more info would be helpful. What is your GPU? Specs of the computer including power supply. What are you using to monitor the heat of the GPU? When you took it to the computer store what else did they say about the high temps?
Do you have a side panel fan? If you take the side panel off and set a desk fan to blow into the case does it make a difference?

hydriss

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

was in such a panic i forgot to mention specs ha! I've updated the post regarding the GPU specs. I'm not actually sure what my power supply is, however i have had this card for some time and had no problems with it like this (previous overheating but that was due to bad ventilation).

They didn't mention anything else other than the possibility of the thermometer showing an incorrect temperature.

Yes i have a side panel fan, i don't actually own a desk fan so I can't test that!

thanks

Besides running the Pc at idle have you done anything to stress the Pc and see what happens with the card?

Are the fans spinning on the video card? Have you cleaned out the dust in the video card? Have you updated the software on After Burner.

hydriss

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Playing games when it says 80-90c will just turn the pc off.

The fans are spinning, yes and both myself and the shop assistant cleaned it. The afterburner software i have not updated however the temperature seems to be correct as i tested a second piece of software; CPUID HWMonitor.

There isn't much left, all fans cleaned and confirmed to work , thermal paste replaced , other then replacing the thermal paste again with a different high quality brand and spreading it paper thin, I would have to say that maybe the video card has gone defective on you.
When the thermal paste was replaced was there new paste added to the memory chips and the other parts that require thermal paste?
If the thermal paste is too thick it acts as an insulator and the heat can not be transferred properly and will build up inside the GPU.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
This might not sound very helpful, and I agree 88c idle seems high. However the gtx 4xx series run hot. I have a 470 that idles at 74c, and 90 is perfectly normal for them while gaming. My card only had 1 fan on it, and the software didn't speed the fan up much while under load.

Are you running dual monitors ? apparently that effects the idle load/temp with the 460/470.

hydriss

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I am running duals but surely it doesn't effect it to this extent?

@inzone - i'm not sure how much or little paste was used as the shop assistant did it.

Earlier my pc crashed (due to this no doubt) and when i restarted i've been able to idle at around 45c and game at around 60c. However after about an hour or so it's now idling at 85/90 and is getting hotter. I've stopped playing to see if this chagnes anything but im still at a loss.

EDIT: I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND THE CAUSE. As mentioned above after an hour or so of gaming the temperature drastically spikes. I've noticed when this happens that the machine starts grunting almost. After inspection with a flashlight it would appear that the actual fan on the card stops and starts. This would certainly explain alot, any ideas of how to fix this?

That's why I asked if the cards fans were working because I couldn't think of any other cause. The cards fans are either clogged or something is making them stop, you said your using after burner and why not try disabling it from controlling the card and let it run by itself. Dual monitors does matter and it may come to you running a single to see if that solves the issue.