[SOLVED] GPU install trouble

Ninja_Sub

Honorable
May 27, 2015
I just bought a GTX 1060 GPU and I installed it on my motherboard, MSI 970 gaming, and I don't get an HDMI signal. Then I tried putting the old card back in and now I'm not getting signal on that either. I didn't touch anything other then the power cable for the video card and I don't think I damaged anything on install, no load snaps or pops or anything. I'd be convinced it's a faulty card if it wasn't that the old ones not working either. Please help.

Solution
I understand. And I'm glad it worked out. It's nice when that sinking feeling goes away. If you ever need help, you know where to find it. Best of luck to you man.
With the new card installed AND the supplemental 6 pin power cable attached, in the primary x16 slot closest to the CPU, try doing the following.

Knowing the model of your previous card and the EXACT model of your power supply would also be helpful. Make certain the card is FULLY seated, and that the lock is engaged in the bottom of the card near the front of the PCI slot.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Ninja_Sub

Honorable
May 27, 2015
CORSAIR CX Series CX600 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

GIGABYTE Radeon R7 370 DirectX 12 GV-R737WF2OC-2GD 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card

Where would I find my CMOS battery?

It's on the motherboard. It's actually just below the PCI slot the graphics card should sit in. You will probably need to remove the CMOS battery with the card out unless you can get to it with it installed. Unplug the power, remove graphics card, remove CMOS battery, press power button for 30 seconds, reinstall CMOS battery, install graphics card, connect power to graphics card, plus PSU back into the wall and power on.

How long has that power supply been in service?

Ninja_Sub

Honorable
May 27, 2015
It's alive! You have the dubious honor of officially being my hero. I'd use more colorful language to thank you but I like this website and don't want to get in trouble