Question GPU INSTALLATION/PROBLEMS guide

MasterCodem

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
GPU PROBLEMS AND INSTALLATION.
originally made at 6/3/2019.

Hello. I have had a few problems during my years as a PC-enthusiast, especially with my graphics cards, and i thought sharing some of my experiences might be good for my karma.
This is just a check-list for GPU-installation before you attempt something stupid.
Feel free to leave your problems and fixes in the comment section.
SOME OF THESE SOLUTIONS COULD APPLY TO SLI PROBLEMS AS WELL.

Note=
GPU= Graphics card.
CPU= Central processing unit (processor).
PSU = Power supply.
MOBO = Motherboard.

============================================================================================================================================================================================================

INSTALLING YOUR GRAPHICS CARD SECURELY;
  1. Turn off the computer, powersupply, and remove any power cables from the GPU.
  2. Wait a few minutes to make sure that remaining energy flowing through your components to drain.
  3. Use a couple of anti-static gloves if you have, before installing your graphics card (to be sure that you dont apply static electricity to the GPU or other components. If you dont have gloves, be grounded before you continue.
  4. Secure the Graphicscard carefully in the PCI-Express slot in your pc. Wait until you hear a click, before you start tightening it with screws.
  5. Plug in the power cables if your GPU needs it (usually marked PCI-E).
  6. Make sure your GPU is safely secured in the case, and attempt a boot.

INSTALLING DRIVERS;
  1. Download DDU(Display driver utility) from https://www.wagnardsoft.com/. Extract the software into a folder, and run it as adminastrator. Uninstall any previous display driver. Reboot.
  2. Go to your GPU maker's website. Find the drivers section, and download the newest graphics driver.
  3. Do a complete shutdown, and reboot.

ENABLING SLI;
  1. See the installation-section above~
  2. Check for new driver updates.
  3. Head into your Geforce Control panel, into the SLI section. Enable SLI for maximum performance.

SIMPLE TRICKS TO FIX COMMON BOOTING ISSUES WITH GPUS;
  • Make sure your PSU has more than enough power to all of your components. https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
  • Make sure that not any of the pins on the PCI-e slot, is damaged or has visible marks. Do the same on the gpu-end.
  • Make sure that your correct gpu drivers are installed. (remove gpu, and use mobo for installing).
  • Be certain that your CPU have enough PCI-e bus lanes for your gpu. (normally a gpu requires a x16 lane).

============================================================================================================================================================================================================

PROBLEM 1;
My PC wont boot. The screen is black and my periphials(mouse, keyboard, usb drivers etc..) are not working(FANS and lights may work).
My GPU is properly connected and secured to the motherboard, and i have plugged the videocable to the videocard(NOT THE MOTHERBOARD).

SOLUTION 1;
Turn off the PC and the powersupply, unplug your graphics card and remove it. Plug your videocable into your motherboard, turn on the powersupply, and attempt a start.
If the PC then boots, then your problem is that your powersupply cant provide enough power for the entire system. A common mistake is thinking your PSU is big enough for your entire system, but GPUs tend to draw a lot of power, especially the older ones.

list updates as i get hold of my own problems and fixes, aswell as the comments.

Les Berkley

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hello!

Useful post, thanks. I have "Problem #1" However, there are no graphic ports on the motherboard (AMD A75 FCH). The power supply was just upgraded to 575 watt, which is more than recommended by the manufacturer. (Sapphire Radeon RX 470 8GB.) The machine does not boot at all, no display. It works perfectly with the OEM card (Radeon HD 7470 2GB) which is powered only by the slot. My guess is that because the mobo does not support UEFI, the device is causing problems in POST. Any ideas before I return the new card?