Question GPU is brutally underutilized in Portal with RTX

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
3070ti, GPU is always close to or less than 30% usage, frame rates are horrible, tried playing around with the Alt+X menu, set dlss to ultra performance
set resolution to the lowest possible, not a single FPS increase! gpu remains to be underutilized, what's up with this?

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

did you upgrade the gpu? ddu the old driver?
i7 13700K along with 32GB DDR4, though I doubt this is even relevant information.
ASUS ROG Strix 850w Gold PSU

Old driver DDU-ed, new, latest driver installed from official nvidia websites the version is 527.56
and im getting 5 fps 😂
if it is the expected behaviour tell me, it wouldn't be far feteched for Nvidia to unoptimize a game to make it seem like you're gonna need the new overpriced 4080 to run a decade and half year old game

played the game, Ultra perf DLSS and Quality DLSS make a very drastic fps difference of 3!!!
GPU remains to be underutilized.
I tried looking for guides on how to improve perf on YT, everyone points out dlss option first, which makes no difference in my case

mjbn1977

Distinguished
i7 13700K along with 32GB DDR4, though I doubt this is even relevant information.
ASUS ROG Strix 850w Gold PSU

Old driver DDU-ed, new, latest driver installed from official nvidia websites the version is 527.56
and im getting 5 fps 😂
if it is the expected behaviour tell me, it wouldn't be far feteched for Nvidia to unoptimize a game to make it seem like you're gonna need the new overpriced 4080 to run a decade and half year old game

played the game, Ultra perf DLSS and Quality DLSS make a very drastic fps difference of 3!!!
GPU remains to be underutilized.
I tried looking for guides on how to improve perf on YT, everyone points out dlss option first, which makes no difference in my case

This is a showcase experiment raytracing thing. They game doesn't use any rasterization. It calculates everything 100 with raytracing. Has nothing to do with old game or new game. Its using mostly RT cores for this....

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
This is a showcase experiment raytracing thing. They game doesn't use any rasterization. It calculates everything 100 with raytracing. Has nothing to do with old game or new game. Its using mostly RT cores for this....
So you mean it is an RT bottleneck within the GPU itself?
Even if that is the case, still does not explain why it wouldn't utilize 100% of the GPU.
also, if I'm remembering right Minecraft is a similar case, Minecraft with RTX also doesn't use any rasterization (except for particles (maybe, I'm not sure), that is the only difference I can think of) how come that runs at godly frame rates

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I FIXED IT EVERYONE!
The fix is to DISABLE "Background Application Max Framerate" through Nvidia Control Panel settings.
For some reason, it counts portal RTX as background app even if you're running fullscreen.
Weird app behaviors, anyway, just go ahead and disable it, you'll get more FPS.