Question GPU is experiencing increasingly worrying issues

Zyperspace

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
GTX 1060 6GB here, bought it last year or something, back when the crypto thing was at large because my old 780 died... Anyway, two weeks ago my GPU didn't send any signal from my DVI-Dual Link cable, but the HDMI output worked fine. After two hours I plugged into the DVI again and it worked once more, for some reason I cannot explain. Then a week later the same thing happened again, and again I just left my PC turned off for a few hours and when I came back the issue had resolved itself.

Today it simply refused to send any output at all, so I ended up plugging my HDMI into the motherboard, which turned out to work. You know what that means: The GPU was not detected at all! Device manager, nope. Graphics drivers, nope. It was powered on as normal, RGB lighting up the case, fans spinning as wildly as ever, but Windows kept telling me I didn't have a 1060!

So I ended up shutting the thing down, pulled the power and removed the card itself. Inspected it, found nothing, and put it back inside. What did I find? The GPU detected as if nothing had happened!

Please help, it's driving me crazy! Is my GPU dying or what is happening? I'm so lost right now, and don't want to repeat the tragedy of a lost GPU once again! I updated my BIOS just two days ago but didn't experience anything after that until today. Games are running as they always do, no performance issues whatsoever.
I could probably have delivered all this information in a more civilized manner, so please forgive my English, it's not exactly my first language. Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day!

Can you provide your full PC specs first ? Which PSU are you using ? Also, what is the brand of your GTX 6GB card ? Are you properly connecting all the PCI-e cables into the card ?

I could probably have delivered all this information in a more civilized manner, so please forgive my English, it's not exactly my first language.

There was nothing uncivilized with regards to your post, and your English is also pretty much fine as well. :)

Zyperspace

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Can you provide your full PC specs first ? Which PSU are you using ? Also, what is the brand of your GTX 6GB card ? Are you properly connecting all the PCI-e cables into the card ?

There was nothing uncivilized with regards to your post, and your English is also pretty much fine as well. :)

Thanks for your kind remarks.

My full specs, more or less are:
PSU: Seasonic 750W 80plus Gold
CPU: Intel i5-4690
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX OC Edition
RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3-1866 HyperX Fury

All cables are properly connected and double-checked, as far as I can tell. :p

Your specs seem fine to me. But if all games run properly on your system, then I'm not sure which PC component might be the culprit here. Have you monitored the GPU TEMP under full load/stress as well, while running games and benchmarks ?

Have you also tried using some other DVI/HDMI cable for your monitor, a new one though ?

so I ended up plugging my HDMI into the motherboard, which turned out to work. You know what that means: The GPU was not detected at all! Device manager, nope

I just want to clarify this. Are you using the mobo's integrated/onboard graphics to boot your PC ? If YES, then why will the PC detect the GTX 1060 under device manager ? It shouldn't as far as I'm concerned.

Zyperspace

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
I just want to clarify this. Are you using the mobo's integrated/onboard graphics to boot your PC ? If YES, then why will the PC detect the GTX 1060 under device manager ? It shouldn't as far as I'm concerned.
I just made sure it wasn't the mobo's integrated/onboard graphics, so that's out of the way now.

I've also not complained about performance, that isn't a problem in any of the games I usually run. My concern was in the strange behaviour my 1060 has been experiencing recently, and I was simply wondering whether or not there's any reason for concern? As it stands from my point of view, it isn't evident what went wrong this morning when my GPU wasn't detected at all. It is, however, a reoccurring theme that my GPU sometimes doesn't give output signal to my monitor, and I hope it isn't something serious.