Question GPU is fried. Can a PSU be faulty and not give noticeable signals of it?

Aug 31, 2022
Hello, I have been wondering something about my PSU, but my research has not gotten me any useful info about it.

I bought a Corsair TX750M around 4 years ago, I used to have a cheap Gigabyte motherboard, well around this time last year that motherboard stopped working completely apparently due to some kind of short circuit or electrical problem, it wasn’t a big deal as I assumed that due to it being such a cheap piece it was just expected for those things to happen, I got an Asrock B250 m pro4 which isn’t that fancy but is what I could find to fit my Core I7 - 7700.

Everything worked flawlessly for a year until last week when my GPU a Gigabyte 1080mini suddenly stopped working while I was gaming, after some fiddling, I discovered that the card was fried but every other component is working fine.

I sent the GPU to a repair shop they said it was a short circuit and that it was probably cause by a faulty PSU or an electrical discharge. power is stable in my house, so I doubt there was any discharge or outside electrical problem I also have an UPS for more safety with that.

I can assumed that the GPU just decided to die because it is also around 4 years old and has been used a lot - not mining, but gaming and rendering constantly - I am still unsure though and want to know if someone has any idea if the PSU can just start killing components sometimes while working perfectly most of the time?

I bought an RTX 3060 that is arriving soon, is quite the investment for me so I want to make sure that everything is good to go before doing something stupid and damaging the new one.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I got an Asrock B250 m pro4 which isn’t that fancy but is what I could find to fit my Core I7 - 7700
Was the board purchased brand new?

rendering constantly
That still adds to stress on the card. If your case innards are full of dust bunnies then that heat is exacerbated.

You might want to invest in a higher wattage, similar quality PSU to power the entire system with that RTX3060(en route).

Ralston18

Titan
If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does), you can do some basic testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU suspect.

= = = =

Also: make and model UPS?

A UPS can offer some protection but that protection can be diminished over time by numerous small power "hits" or perhaps just a few larger hits.

FYI (not a recommendation or endorsement for CyberPower. You can easily find other similar links):

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/blog/joules-the-key-to-surge-protection/