GPU is limiting itself for no reason? (Overwatch)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

messyecho

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
So, I just recieved a 1080 ASUS Strix. I've been playing Overwatch and my GPU keeps jumping around from 1600MHz+ clock to as low as 1200MHz clock. And the usage is jumping from anywhere from 60+ to low 50s.
Ryzen 5 1600 3.8 GHZ
GTX 1080 ROG Strix
16GB 3200MHZ
On a M.2 SSD

Solution
No. It seems everyone who plays overwatch is getting shafted. The IPC on the Ryzen cpus is right at skylake levels, so you are pretty much about 10% behind brand new CoffeeLake, that's it. With a decent OC and high speed ram, you can get @20% performance increase, which puts IPC either at or above stock CoffeeLake levels, so for all intents and purposes Ryzen and CoffeeLake makes no difference there.

As far as I can tell from reading all the other forums, from battlenet to reddit, here to Linus tech, it's a game issue, not a pc issue. If you ran Ashes of the Singularity, you'd be lucky to get 40-60fps even with an 8700k and 1080ti. Just like windows CE, the update funked things for everyone.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 2 'bars' on my pc. The Start Bar and the Tool Bar. Every other 'bar' gets consigned to the Void, especially crap like Google, Yahoo, Web Helper, Game, Socials like Twitter and Facebook too. Open up Edge or Chrome with all that enabled and your actual browser window consists of 6" of the same bars with the same options and 6" of window.

If it opens at all.

messyecho

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017

So update, Overwatch seems to be running 40% cpu 40% GPU and I also tried Far Cry 3 and that would only use 20% of my GPU

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from messyecho : "I'm angry and tired. I can't understand why but my GPU won't fully use itself in overwatch and other games."

Fresh os install? vsync on? what fps are you getting?

messyecho

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017

My CPU is not bottlenecking. It's only running at 40 percent at the max, while my GPU goes as high as 60 and as low as 20

The fact that your gpu is not pushed to high unrilization is bottlenecking, imagine you 1600 is a truck cruising down the highway at 65 mph, and the distance from source to destination is 65 miles. with cargo filled 40% full. And you wonder why it can only delivery good every 2 hr. That’s why, 3.8 ghz is your bottleneck. To put more graphical load on it, you need to increase you resolution. Nothing you can do if the program has a critical path that is not taking the advantage of your extra threads. You can try to oc it to 4.0+, it will give you a 5% gain. Or change your setup to intel (very expensive) where your single thread performance can be further improved. But if you are a competitive player, it will help stabilize your fps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have 12 threads on that cpu. If the game uses only 6 threads, and all 6 are at 100% usage, your cpu will see 50% used in taskmaster. That's still a bottleneck since the game doesn't spread the wealth amongst all 12 threads, but crams just 6 to maximum, which slows any processing.

You'll need to look at individual usage, not the lump sum. I believe MSI Afterburner has that capability in game overlay. It'll give you a better idea of just what's happening. If all your threads are low usage, that's a different story, but according to everything I've read on multiple forums, one thing they all have in common is that everybody is experiencing frame drops since the 'Moira' update a short while ago. So it might just be the game engine, and not anything wrong with your pc.

messyecho

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017

So did I get cucked buying a Ryzen? Should I have bought intel?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. It seems everyone who plays overwatch is getting shafted. The IPC on the Ryzen cpus is right at skylake levels, so you are pretty much about 10% behind brand new CoffeeLake, that's it. With a decent OC and high speed ram, you can get @20% performance increase, which puts IPC either at or above stock CoffeeLake levels, so for all intents and purposes Ryzen and CoffeeLake makes no difference there.

As far as I can tell from reading all the other forums, from battlenet to reddit, here to Linus tech, it's a game issue, not a pc issue. If you ran Ashes of the Singularity, you'd be lucky to get 40-60fps even with an 8700k and 1080ti. Just like windows CE, the update funked things for everyone.

Solution